Tentacles living inside a hole in my torch skeleton

badIuck

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 16, 2020
Messages
32
Reaction score
14
Location
Bavaria
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,
I have set up my first reef tank a month ago. So far everything is going pretty well, the first little fish are going to move in this week.
Now I noticed a hole in my Euphyllia coral, about 5mm in diameter with tiny little white/brown striped tentacles coming out. the shape kind of looks like aiptasia tentacles but it seems too smart for better lack of words. As soon as I come near it with tweezers or a turkey baster it instantly retracts, without me touching it.
Then again I have never had aiptasia so maybe this is what they do. Also it really looks like it has eaten a hole into the skeleton.

Anyone know what this is?

Tentacles are at the top/right of the skeleton of the front polyp:
P1020820.JPG


Cropped in:
tentacles.png


The black spot on the skeleton is the hole:
P1020813.JPG


Also I spotted a little seastar. Asteria? Leave in or take out? On the white coral glue.
P1020814.JPG


And a full tank shot for good measure :)
P1020827.JPG


Any help would be appreciated!
Cheers,
TIm
 
Last edited:
The tentacle not sure. At first thought it was just a
Brittle worm but can’t tell from pictures and unsure if the black hole is something else?

the little starfish some say are bad but most seem to feel they are safe except a darker one that looks more blackish

I’ve had the Asterina and never thought they caused any issues other than they can multiple quickly but I think they are safe but that just my opinion.
 
Micro-Brittle Star?
.
 
Thanks for all the fast replies. Then I will wait and see if the tentacle thingy really is a bristle star and leave it alone. I guess it should come out of that hole at some point?

The asterina has hidden itself now, I will take him out next time I see him.
 
Brittle star for sure, leave it alone.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top