Test PH, KH, Ca and Mg Before or after weekly water change

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jcon82
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Test PH, KH, Ca and Mg Before or after weekly water change


  • Total voters
    5

Jcon82

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 1, 2022
Messages
193
Reaction score
93
Location
North Providence
What state or country do you live in
Rhode Island
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Wondering which test is more valuable. I typically take a sample right before my weekly water change and then test salinity afterwards. The pre WC test usually tells me if I need to adjust my dosing.
 
@Jcon82 I test a day after a water change (typically 20%) and then again three/four days later. This does two things for me. First, I can get a sense of consumption (Alk, Ca, Mg) so I know I’m dosing about right. Second, I get sort of before and after nitrate levels.
 
Me too. Next day and then mid week. I also journal the results and add notes when I make changes to equipment, dosing or add livestock. I do 10% water changes every week.
 
Hey All,

Wondering which test is more valuable. I typically take a sample right before my weekly water change and then test salinity afterwards. The pre WC test usually tells me if I need to adjust my dosing.
I would say after the water change if it is a scheduled event.

Probably happens !
 
I test Mg and pH fairly infrequently, but testing as you go can help you get the amount of dosing tuned for the consumption that you have to replace. Over time you should have a good idea what your parameters should be and you can test only to be sure you have them under control.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top