The absolute CRAZIEST creature I've EVER witnessed.... EVER!!!

andijo81

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 3, 2012
Messages
319
Reaction score
43
Location
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
I want one now, but have NO IDEA on the requirements. I believe they need a deep sand or mud bed, they prefer mud... I think.
 
Looks like a nudibranch mated with a sea goblin! Freakin weird and awesome all together!
 
I'd be willing to bet its a sea hare. Look up yahoo or google images of 'blue spotted sea hare with white tentacles'. Couldn't find an exact match, but there are MANY! Absolutely amazing find.
 
I emailed the people at Wetwebmedia.com and got confirmation on it before posting. I had actually seen them the day before getting pictures of these. I was on the Diver's Den Tour at Live Aquaria, they had one in a bin. I was super intrigued then and I never saw it move. The guy running the tour said it was a tunicate. Next day, I get a picture of the same creature asking if I knew what it was. I told him tunicate then thought I better double check. Couldn't find any info or anything remotely close. I forwarded a link to Wetwebmedia.com and a few other smart people I am fortunate enough to know:) Sea Pansy it was.

http://www.jaxshells.org/slife126.htm
 
A sae pansy is a cnidarian in class Anthozoa. Same class as our common corals
 
Also, they are secondarily photosynthetic and rely on particulate matter in the same was as many non photosynthetic corals. My guess is that they'd waste away in our tanks unless special care is provided
 
I think as long as you feed them like you would a sun coral-maybe a bit
more-they should be ok. Fine foods seems to be important
 
Hahaha, I never even heard the music. I keep my phone on silent so I missed that... and a lot of phone calls:)
 
Man anticlimatic.... I thought it was going to like start flapping those wings and fly around the tank...
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top