The beast is dead!! long live the Newer Beast??

Mojoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 13, 2011
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
Location
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The beast is dead!! long live the Newer Beast??

Well it time to shake things up in the beast and get a bit of a fresh start for the tank, so time to gut it and freshen things up a bit. So I thought I would put up a little history for those that might want to know. About three years ago I was facing some maintenance issues with the big L tank, with stuff like valves leaking, unions leaking, pumps needed rebuilding and some scratches on ad in the acrylic. So I sent the corals off to friends and along with the fish and so on, pulled all the rock and drained the tank. After repairing all the plumbing and so on I filled the tank with water to do a leak test, to my amazement no leaks first run (not bad considering their were 50+ holes) anyway walked to the front of the tank and noticed that the front corner, where the two 8 foot sheets joined had some color in the joint?? I thought ok I better drain this and see what is going on, took about two steps and that seem popped right in front of me, well I wont go into the rest of that day but it wasnt fun, lol

Anyway with the great help of Barrier Reef I was able to procure a replacement made of glass that was as big as one section of the original L, I think about 500 gallons?? or close to that anyway. Plumbed it, put all the rock in it and eventually brought all my fish back to it. Well from their life got real busy and the tank went into limbo where I didnt have the time to take care of it properly , long story short didnt bring the corals back, and did nothing with it besides feeding the fish for a couple of years or something like that anyway. So as with all things reef related you get what you put into it, and thus so did I.

About six months ago I cleaned the glass for the first time (solid covering of corraline) and look in, well we got aiptasia, and manjoni and every other pest you can imagine from not dealing with it for so many years. Also found out the calcium reactor and skimmer had stopped working, yada yada yada. lol So now I must pay for my sins and do a restart!! So I thought I would start a thread on that and here we are, lol




Mojo​
 
Mojo welcome to R2R!

My son in order for you to be forgiven you must post many pictures and updates. :)
 
So some shots of the old tank from a couple years back, for prosperity sake??

41dsn1372.jpg


tank4.jpg


tank7.jpg


tank8.jpg
 
Ok Rev as ordered, lol

tank12.jpg


efflo1.jpg


tableville.jpg


Ok that should take care of that past!!, cant wait to get them back in the new beast.

Mojo
 
Welcome to R2R! That's a beautiful tank you had there... looking forward to your new build!!
 
Hi mojo what is the tabling coral in the last pic? What color is it??
You know Matt it has changed color so many times. When I got it it was brown and had very tight stalks.
cs22.jpg


Then I took it out of high flow and put it in some slack flow and closer to the MH's and it turn mostly reddish with purple tips? and the stacks grew longer
deswali1.jpg


From that point the base stack just grew and the over all color turned kind of pinkish??
 
Welcome to R2R! Your beast is beautiful! Can't wait to see the newer one!!
 
I designed and am building a LED array so I thought I would share it with you all. Now this is a rough drawing but I think you will get the idea

LED_FIXTURE1.jpg

Ok so on the top their will be six 1 foot by 8 inch heat sinks and each of them will have 24 Cree leds consisting of blues, cool whites, royal blues all with Carclo wides for optics. So they will be connected to each other via an Al. rail and then each will have a ball joint mount so they can be swiveled and put at degrees. From their their will be some rails that will extend out towards the front of the tank and I will have three 24x4 inch heat sinks that will have 48 leds mounted, on here it will be cool whites, blues and then a few reds and greens, same optics but none on the reds or greens all cree again to.

So the total is going to be 218 leds. What I want to do is to extent the larger heat sinks out to the front of the tank and then angle them so they light the whole rock face, this should widen the spread of the lights and then eliminate the "whats under the coral gets no light issues" and it will also blend the colors better that are shining from above. On the lights that will be directly above the rockwork I want them mounted on the swivel ball brackets so I cn angle them directly onto where I want them and the with a slight angel toward each other I can better blend then into each other I figure this will create a kind of over all coverage thing so I dont have to worry about spread??

anyway thats the plan anyhooo lol


Mojo
 
Ok note to all, when order from Marco Big means BIG!!!!! Got the rock to the house and their are some huge pieces!!!!!!

005.JPG


The board on the deck are 2x6
0043.JPG


0034.JPG


0023.JPG


0012.JPG
 
Nice old tank, new one will be even better. Whats the plan for the corals when you re-scape the rock work?
OK read it again and the corals are gone? A couple years with someone else? So this will be totally new?
Will you still be using MH? Looks like room left for them in the middle
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top