The best species for a first time leopard wrasse keeper?

Northwest_Scapes_

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 20, 2020
Messages
730
Reaction score
1,301
Location
Seattle
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know they're all pretty difficult to acclimate but once you get them going they're pretty hardy. Which one would you recommend for a person who's never had one? I've been looking at the Black or Blue Star but I'm not sure how Hardy they are. The tank is going to be a 68gal Macro if this helps
 
The most important thing is making sure they’re eating if you’re buying from an LFS. Highly recommend taking that approach. Once they’re eating you’re generally in the clear. The black leopard wrasses and the traditional leopard wrasse both tend to be pretty hardy. I’ve kept 3 or 4 different leopard wrasses and had success with all but one. Lost it due to bullying from another fish.
 
The most important thing is making sure they’re eating if you’re buying from an LFS. Highly recommend taking that approach. Once they’re eating you’re generally in the clear. The black leopard wrasses and the traditional leopard wrasse both tend to be pretty hardy. I’ve kept 3 or 4 different leopard wrasses and had success with all but one. Lost it due to bullying from another fish.
Thank you! I'll have to see if any of my LFS have any in. I have never really seen any species of leopard here and with Covid that just lowes the chances even more. I think I'll try and get one from LiveAquaria since they tend to train the fish, but if I find one around here I'll take my chances. Glad to hear the Blacks are pretty hardy! They look the best besides the Choat's red. Thank you for the help!
 
Thank you! I'll have to see if any of my LFS have any in. I have never really seen any species of leopard here and with Covid that just lowes the chances even more. I think I'll try and get one from LiveAquaria since they tend to train the fish, but if I find one around here I'll take my chances. Glad to hear the Blacks are pretty hardy! They look the best besides the Choat's red. Thank you for the help!
No problem. I haven’t seen a leopard wrasse in a while but I’m just getting back into the hobby. When I worked at an LFS we would generally order the black and traditional leopards in small groups at least once a month. Rarely lost any of them. Anyhow, good luck! It’s a fun fish to have
 
Meleagris and Bipartitus tend to be easier to acclimate to tank life. Leopard wrasses don’t ship well so if you can find one locally and see it eat that will give you the best chance keeping one for the first time.
 
I have kept a couple of dozen over the years. Have had the most success with meleagris. Moyers is on the easier end also. Black has been vey tricky fir me.
 
I have kept a couple of dozen over the years. Have had the most success with meleagris. Moyers is on the easier end also. Black has been vey tricky fir me.
Pretty much my experience with them also. Every black I have ever tried to add, end up dying.

Currently have a meleagris, and a blue star, and a ornate in QT. One thing with leopards, they all pretty much get along so it's easy to have a "leopard gang".

IMO, I happen to like the females as opposed to the transitioned males.
 
Wow I just discovered the choats leopard!

What an amazing colored leopard! Of course the price tag might keep it from being in my tank though.

Definitely a leopard I would like to keep. Maybe one day if the price was right.
 
So I know they're all pretty difficult to acclimate but once you get them going they're pretty hardy. Which one would you recommend for a person who's never had one? I've been looking at the Black or Blue Star but I'm not sure how Hardy they are. The tank is going to be a 68gal Macro if this helps
My leopard wrasse is definitely one of my favorite fish in my tank. Keep in mind I’m sure you already planned and have a deep sand bed for them. Be aware when you put him in the display tank initially, he will dive into the sand and is totally normal not to see him for a few day period before he shows himself again don’t be alarmed and don’t try to find him! Mine didn’t come out for a FULL WEEK and now he is acclimated to my lighting schedule!! My Blue Star has a good personality!
 

Attachments

  • D3E7690B-3291-4088-B060-F677266D0F49.jpeg
    D3E7690B-3291-4088-B060-F677266D0F49.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 127
Ornate. Eats everything. Gets right in the mix during feeding times
 
My leopard wrasse is definitely one of my favorite fish in my tank. Keep in mind I’m sure you already planned and have a deep sand bed for them. Be aware when you put him in the display tank initially, he will dive into the sand and is totally normal not to see him for a few day period before he shows himself again don’t be alarmed and don’t try to find him! Mine didn’t come out for a FULL WEEK and now he is acclimated to my lighting schedule!! My Blue Star has a good personality!
I had a yellow coris that disappeared for a 6 week period at one point. Still alive today and the only survivor of a recent velvet outbreak.
 
My leopard wrasse is definitely one of my favorite fish in my tank. Keep in mind I’m sure you already planned and have a deep sand bed for them. Be aware when you put him in the display tank initially, he will dive into the sand and is totally normal not to see him for a few day period before he shows himself again don’t be alarmed and don’t try to find him! Mine didn’t come out for a FULL WEEK and now he is acclimated to my lighting schedule!! My Blue Star has a good personality!
Yup, I've heard about this. Hopefully they don't end up finding a whole in the lid and jump out. I do plan on having a deep sand bed since I do have another bottom dweller in my mind for the tank that needs a deep sand bed, so hopefully they get along. Thank you for your help as well! Your leopard looks beautiful
 
Yup, I've heard about this. Hopefully they don't end up finding a whole in the lid and jump out. I do plan on having a deep sand bed since I do have another bottom dweller in my mind for the tank that needs a deep sand bed, so hopefully they get along. Thank you for your help as well! Your leopard looks beautiful
The leopard is an awesome fish highly recommended!!
 
I had a yellow coris that disappeared for a 6 week period at one point. Still alive today and the only survivor of a recent velvet outbreak.
That is crazy 6 weeks is a long time, that long I would think it died and probably would have been searching for him
 
That is crazy 6 weeks is a long time, that long I would think it died and probably would have been searching for him
I never searched but I wrote it in as dead on my records and guess what the day after I finally gave up it was out after 6 weeks. It actually looked bigger so it found food somehow.
 
As a multiple leopard owner I would recommend bipartisus and melagris. Once established they are bullet proof, they hate ph swings and ive only had sucess with direct tank introduction with prazi pro full tank treatment.

Qt seems to be death in my experience.
 
So I know they're all pretty difficult to acclimate but once you get them going they're pretty hardy. Which one would you recommend for a person who's never had one? I've been looking at the Black or Blue Star but I'm not sure how Hardy they are. The tank is going to be a 68gal Macro if this helps
Idk if it’s too late, but Ornate leopards are the “easiest.”
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top