The challenge of feeding corals

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 28, 2016
Messages
5,473
Reaction score
7,030
Location
Tracy, California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add a tiny bit of AB+ and phyto to my bottle of thawed frozen a couple times a week and squirt when I feed fish. I also feed approx 100ml of phyto at night, some to the refugium, some to the display, and a couple times a week I do a broadcast of 20-30ml AB+ in the return chamber. Every so often I'll mix the AB+ in some tank water and direct feed instead of broadcasting.

But here's the thing. Some corals are open, with polyps out during day/lights on. Like the duncan and my SPS. Corals like montipora get fed I'm sure by what is in water (and light). But some, like my favias and acan types don't open to accept food until not only lights off, but after several hours of night hours. First thing in the morning, while room is still dark, and using a blue flashlight, I see the micromusas/acans nice and open. My lobo also looks nice and fat.

So how do you decide when to feed corals? A couple times, like 7am i've shut flow and used a baster to feed those who are open. The one micromussa looks puffier since I've done this. I've had acans in the past that were always showing their tentacles.

So how do you all feed your corals, if you do? Split feedings and do some day, some while dark?
 
a lot of corals show a feeding response during the night. actually, from what i’ve read, LPS do this more than other corals. that being said, it isn’t “make or break” if you don’t feed those LPS. they are still getting food from broadcast feedings
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top