The chemistry of acclimation

This is a great thread, hope no one minds my reviving it as I was just thinking about this the other day. My usual practice is to match my observation tank to my LFS salinity, float the bag for a few minutes to match up temp, and after a quick double check of salinity (bag and tank) in the fish goes.

I've never worried much about pH because I expected that the process of opening the bag and releasing CO2 would cause the pH to swing rapidly anyway. Not so?

That seems a fine plan. pH changes themselve are not generally a big concern for acclimating fish, but the effect on the toxicity of ammonia likely is. :)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top