The Flying Turkey's New 50 Gallon Cube Build!

So my hair algae problem is resolving.

I was getting frustrated with the algae and particularly how long and flowing the hair algae was getting. So during a water change 2 weeks ago I decided to remove a couple of the rocks with the most algae on it and I used a tooth brush and scrubbed it off. After two weeks it has not returned. Some of the bottom rocks still have the hair algae on it, so I bought an Emerald Crab. I have to say, that one little crab has knocked down almost all of the remaining hair algae. I also have a large clean up crew consisting of 4 different types of snails, but I can watch that crab grab claw fulls of algae and chomp on it.

I also picked up a Salifert phosphate test kit, and P04 is undetectable. I'm doing small weekly water changes (10%) and I'm running Chemi-Pure Elite in a Kent reactor in the sump.

I have to say I'm very happy with how my tank is coming along. Water parameters are always good using Red Sea Coral Pro salt.

For live stock I have:

2 Clowns
1 Emerald Crab
3 Peppermint shrimp
50 different snails
1 Blow Pop Zoa
1 Chalice purple with neon green spots
1 Candy Cane coral

I'll have to upload a recent pic later today.
 
Let's see some pix! I ended up purchasing the exact set up a couple weeks ago, I've been out of town so I haven't done anything but run freshwater through it... I have sand, salt and other equip ready and waiting... The rock should arrive tomorrow so I hope to be up and running sometime this weekend.
 
022FA678-4D4F-4F63-BF57-512A792B0C01_zps2lmysa4r.jpg



3927C4A1-4BFE-429E-A235-50815AE49356_zpsjmjmdw3f.jpg
 
Yep looks good!
 
Looks Great! Thanks for documenting your build and showing other options for newbies. I too am contemplating an AIO cube but you gave me something else to consider.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top