The Great Reef Data Roundup: How Do You Reef? Analyzing real results.

Great project! I can't wait to see the results. BTW, you need to specify UNITS for some of the data you are collecting :) (Tip from a practicing data scientist!!)

I realized that in retrospect lol, might have to go change. Mostly just the parameters so I can do some excel or pandas magic and convert them all to the same units hopefully. Made more work for myself but oh well
 
I have some awesome news: more than double the people have taken the survey overnight! I greatly appreciate everyone's help. Here are a few more things that google can already show (it's not the most relevant info, I'll be doing much much more with the data in the future):

I'm proud to say that we all have our tanks cycled ;):
Ammonia.PNG Nitrite.PNG

And another expected result, we really like the LR/Skimmer/WC approach to reefing:
NE.PNG
However, Refugiums appear to be gaining some ground!

Lastly, it looks like the majority of us have been pretty successful with an average of 7.36/10:
Success.PNG
We can see a solid positive correlation between experience and success, however there is an oddity in that reefers with 20+ years seem to struggle nearly as much as those with <5 years. Maybe its an artifact that will be resolved with more data, or maybe you experienced reefkeepers are just too hard on yourselves!
SuccessVsExperience.PNG
Hopefully we can get all of those numbers up even more, maybe even with a little help from the Great Reef Data Roundup :)
 
Very cool idea and I'll look to gather some for ya, however on the point above... yea us married reefers don't have accurate info on that. $5(ish) standard costs

Haha I figured most people wouldn't have any concrete numbers, or even any approximate numbers. I made that part optional because of that and because of the fact that some of us don't want any evidence of how much we've actually spend ;)
 
We are still at 61 entries so I'm going to bump again! Please feel free to ask any questions and tag friends to participate! I would greatly appreciate if you took the time to participate :)

PS. hoping that R2R sees this at some point and features it :cool:
 
Just filled out your questionnaire. Good luck on your project! Great idea. You should include lighting next time even as just “what kind of lighting do you use?” Like LEDs MH or T5
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top