The joys of handling ich.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Joined
May 10, 2017
Messages
5,159
Reaction score
27,805
Location
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m in the process of getting my ich outbreak under control. All fish are in QT and are being treated with copper and prazipro will cure them and let the DT run for 76 days before adding fish back. So once I get that all taken out what is the best way to keep ich from returning I will QT all new fish and treat in the future but what about my corals should I dip them and let them sit in QT for 76 day’s to just be safe? What’s the best option.
 
Some will tell you it's the only option....QT is the only thing you have between elements and what live stock you add to your tank. Therefore a lot use it as you stated.
 
I generally don't recommend running prazipro and copper at the same time. If you have to it should be fine. It would be better to run general cure as it has less prazi
 
Yes, you will need to quarantine all coral and invertebrates with shells, like shrimp and crabs, for 76 days to keep ich out of your system.
 
Some will go to extreme lengths to keep pests/ disease out of the main tank and even then it can still happen.

I don’t go to extremes but will do my due diligence to keep them out.

I QT all new fish for 6 weeks. copper treatment for 2 weeks followed by API general cure for 2 more . Then I observe for any signs of illness for 2 weeks and in the main tank they go.

Corals- no QT. I dip coral rx then in the tank they go.

Inverts - no qt . Acclimate then in the tank they go

I only have 1 QT system and that’s all the room I have or willing to spare.

I have a plethora of medication on hand should anything occur. So I am prepared to deal with what ever comes my way

Ich ? Come at me bro. lol

1F9FA404-B408-41F0-B5CA-052CF1ED4FBB.jpeg
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top