The melting point of salt

What caused the explosion?
Did melting the salt somehow free up some elemental sodium which then reacted violently with oxygen in the water?

Was this a tank of saltwater or freshwater? Would it have mattered which it was?
 
What caused the explosion?
Did melting the salt somehow free up some elemental sodium which then reacted violently with oxygen in the water?

Was this a tank of saltwater or freshwater? Would it have mattered which it was?
Interesting hypothesis and questions, but I just thought it was the violent expansion of water as steam. Now, I'm curious to see Randy's answer.
 
Note the makers of the video (rockets are cool RAC).

Then also Google molten salt rocket and Mars. :cool:
 
What caused the explosion?
Did melting the salt somehow free up some elemental sodium which then reacted violently with oxygen in the water?

Was this a tank of saltwater or freshwater? Would it have mattered which it was?

I don't have Facebook (and don't want one) otherwise I would message them and ask on their page if it was fresh or salt water in the tank. I doubt it matters.

https://m.facebook.com/RocketsAreCool/?refid=52&__tn__=C
 
I was surprised at first at the intensity of the reaction, but I suspect it was just the rate at which the steam was made that cause a shock wave that burst the tank.

Let's calculate!

Say 2 cups (~510 grams) of molten sodium chloride. About 8.7 moles.

melting point = 1474 deg C according to the video. Let's assume it is just at its melting point and not above.

Heat of fusion of sodium chloride= 27.95 kJ/mol

So we get 8.7 moles x 28 kJ/mol = 244 kJ of energy released as it solidifies.

Now look to the energy as it cools from 1474 to 100 deg C. That is 1374 degrees and 8.7 moles.

The heat capacity of solid NaCl is 50 J/(mol K) so the heat of cooling is about 50 x 8.7 x 1373 = ~600 kJ

So the molten salt could deliver about 600 kJ to the water.

Now look at the water
The heat of vaporization of water is about 40.7 kJ/mole
The heat capacity is about 75 J/(mol K)

So to raise 1 mole of water at 25 C to steam at 10o deg C takes about 40.7 kJ + 75 J/(mol K) x 75 (deg C) = 46 kJ

OK, so now we see that we could possibly vaporize about 600/46 = 13 moles of water, assuming we only heated that water and no other water.

13 moles (234 g) of vapor water will take up about 364 liters at 100 deg C.

So even if we only vaporize 1/10th of the theoretical amount (26 L), if that happens fast enough it would certainly explain what we saw.

And, I hope I did these quick calculations correctly. :D
 
You know I'm not a super scientific guy but I think that adding that salt to the water breaks the hydrogen molecules loose. I've seen this type of reaction in my industry before. I work in a steel mill and when on a rare occasion liquid steel"2800 degrees" meets water and Boom! We call it a break out and it is devastating. Basically a hydrogen bomb! It's very important for us that water is used to cool the steel, not the other way around.
 
You know I'm not a super scientific guy but I think that adding that salt to the water breaks the hydrogen molecules loose. I've seen this type of reaction in my industry before. I work in a steel mil and when on a rare occasion liquid steel"2800 degrees" meets water and Boom! We call it a break out and it is devastating. Basically a hydrogen bomb! It's very important for us that water is used to cool the steel, not the other way around.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I do not believe that mixing hot sodium chloride and water will make H2. :)

Steel is different, since it has metals like iron in the zero oxidation state. Iron can react with H+ or just water (in the absence of sufficient O2) to form H2:

Fe(s) + 2H+(aq) → Fe2+(aq) + H2(g)
 
I'm not sure what you mean, but I do not believe that mixing hot sodium chloride and water will make H2. :)

Steel is different, since it has metals like iron in the zero oxidation state. Iron can react with H+ or just water (in the absence of sufficient O2) to form H2:

Fe(s) + 2H+(aq) → Fe2+(aq) + H2(g)


Wouldn't the thermal expansion of the water molecules cause the H2O to break the H2O bond?? Thus separating the Hydrogen from the oxygen??

Or all we are seeing in the video is thermal expansion? Aka shockwave??

Makes me wonder if there isn't more going on here than we can see.
 
I also noticed the color of the liquid salt was odd?? Possible reaction to the atmosphere or the vessel that it was heated in?? The salt could have picked up some other elements from that vessel it was melted in.
 
Wouldn't the thermal expansion of the water molecules cause the H2O to break the H2O bond?? Thus separating the Hydrogen from the oxygen??

Or all we are seeing in the video is thermal expansion? Aka shockwave??

Makes me wonder if there isn't more going on here than we can see.

According to wikipedia, water begins to decompose at temps over 2200 deg C
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_splitting

"At elevated temperatures water molecules split into their atomic components hydrogen and oxygen. For example, at 2200 °C about three percent of all H2O molecules are dissociated into various combinations of hydrogen and oxygen atoms, mostly H, H2, O, O2, and OH. "


But that is an endothermic process (takes up heat energy) and if it "burned" back to water, the net round trip is an energy neutral and volume neutral process.

So I do not think this explains what happened in the video.
 
I also noticed the color of the liquid salt was odd?? Possible reaction to the atmosphere or the vessel that it was heated in?? The salt could have picked up some other elements from that vessel it was melted in.

I'm not sure what they started with or what color to expect, but I would guess that part of the reddish color may have been black body radiation as opposed to reflected/absorbed light.

At 1450 deg C (1700 K), one expects some reddening:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top