The nightmare of a Bobbit worm

  • Thread starter Thread starter TUSI
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
That video creeped me outtttt ...tusi let me k ow if u need a hand buddy ..and I'm sure this is giving u an excuse to reaquascape ...that thing is nastyyyyyyyy
 
you need a piece of fish as bait with a large fishing hook hidden in it attached to some line , jigle the bate above its hole and let it take it inside it for a few minutes , then pull quick on the line to hook it and tie the line to a stretched piece of strong elastic . If the hook is well into its body ,after a couple of days it will get exhausted resisting the elastic and it will come out of its hole
 
Similar to what Stevie posted. Saw this video a while back. Need some way to clamp the worms head without breaking it, then a float or elastic to gently pull the worm out over time. Maybe attach the trap to a line and weight that's hanging over the tank and let gravity do the work.

 
Search google for how to make a worm trap. I didn't build a trap, but I did have a couple of small black/white ones come in with my LR from Florida. I was lucky that I was able to remove the rock it was in for one of them. I put the rock in my sink and when I was trying to figure out how to remove it it came out of the rock on its own. The 2nd one I was able to catch with a long pair of hemostats when it was on the sand. I have been plagued with bobbit and fireworms in my LR. I have the rock in a separate tank now for 8 months and I am still finding fireworms. Not sure when I will be able to move the rock to my main tanks.
 
Ok. This is a messed up version but I bet it will work for you! Get a sharp rod and impale it and pull it up from an angle. It should release from the pain.
 
Few get it , but what a nightmare. I suggest to anyone reading a 2 liter bottle with mono-line for fishing attached and place in it a silver or speckled black molly who survive in saltwater and generally at a cost of $1. The worm will go in after it and you can then lift the bottle with the fishing line ( have a bottle cap ready or large fishing net and either flush it OR if you have cold temps like we do, place the capped bottle outside and let it freeze to death !
 
Just throwing this out there. Would a majono wand work? Zapping him to death and banishing him to a hellish end would make me feel a little fuzzy inside
Got to be care he don’t release any toxins. The best to take him out manually I think
 
That video creeped me outtttt ...tusi let me k ow if u need a hand buddy ..and I'm sure this is giving u an excuse to reaquascape ...that thing is nastyyyyyyyy
Hey Charlie you know how it is we find every excuse to redo the tank. Lol I will make sushi out of the b——-d
 
what the heck! Like I need more stuff to worry about in my tank besides Bobbit worms! Should I even ask why it's named "Bobbit?" Something from Dante's seven levels!
 
what the heck! Like I need more stuff to worry about in my tank besides Bobbit worms! Should I even ask why it's named "Bobbit?" Something from Dante's seven levels!
Believe me I know what you mean, I must have had this guy since I build the tank and never noticed him. Lost a lot of fish through the years and have never found them, now I know why. Last week alone lost $1000 worth of fish. I was not ready for this but now it’s a priority.
 
Best of luck getting it out. We had a fireworm that demolished my clams including a baby gigas and snails. My tankmaster caught him with forceps one night and he broke in half. We were fortunate to have the head and as a result, it wasn't maneuvering as easily and quickly so he was able to get the other half out. What a nightmare! Since then, we will not start a tank with live rock nor put any live rock into any of our tanks no matter where it comes from. Don't ever want to go through that again...bsa
 
Doesn't look like a bobbit worm to me, certainly a worm from the enucid family though... bobbit worms don't eat coral...
 
Sorry to see this Tusi. You have one of the best Reef tanks I've seen in person. Good luck!!!
 
No no no don’t flush it please! Do anything you want, burn, freeze, smash, chop whatever but don’t put it down the toilet!!!
 
No no no don’t flush it please! Do anything you want, burn, freeze, smash, chop whatever but don’t put it down the toilet!!!
No we are setting a tank at my local lfs for people to see.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top