Alrighty folks, I've come out the other end (somewhat) of the extremely ugly part. The algae was bonkers but it has started subsiding to the point that manual removal seems to be enough as the CUC can clear the short bits.
The 3 berghia Nudibranch I got seem to have worked a treat. I only have one confirmed aiptasia left that I know of and it's on the opposite side of the tank from where I dropped the trio originally. I caught one of the nudis out this morning and gently moved it nearer to the aiptasia and I have not seen it extended since, will have to see this evening since they seem to be more aggressively extended as the lights dim.
I'm still sitting pretty flat on nitrates and doing neonitro dosing every couple days to try and raise it but I'm hesitant to do a bunch of dosing this early. Would rather try to work through it naturally with feedings.
Some pics to break up the text:
FTS as of about an hour ago (everything is happy and growing!)
Florida Ricordea that has grown a second mouth (other side of the fold on the left). The patch of hair algae there is the worst in the tank, I don't see my CUC there much, not sure why.
Female clown has fully claimed this pink hammer and is hosting, much to the hammer's chagrin. It is getting better, more inflated over time but initially was very upset with her. It's also recently been splitting and has since added a second mouth which may not help the stress of the situation.
Other than that everything is going well. Not testing (alk/cal/mag) as much as I should but I can also pretty easily tell when I'm due for a WC (torches get a bit tighter/shorter) so I'm feeling pretty okay about that. Haven't started mixing my own water either so I'll have to be wary of that when I do.
My CUC has grown by:
14 Dwarf Cerith
2 Dwarf Trochus
1 Halloween Hermit Crab
2 Zebra Turbo Snail
1 Emerald/Ruby Mithrax Crab
They've all been working hard and the mithrax crab has started getting a bit more confident at feeding time. The crab cave is on the top of the top rock so pretty easy to give him a snack if I'm feeling inclined. The top rock is sparkly clean now due to that crab.
Lost a couple hermits due to infighting. I've added some larger empty shells and 2 of them immediately moved up so I imagine it was due to that!
Surprisingly the starfish is still going strong. The moment I see it climbing for over a day I'll be taking it back. It still spends a lot of time moving under the sand so there must be enough down there at the moment to sustain it.
The cleaner shrimp has already molted twice, seems he's getting more than his fair share of snacks!
I'm cautiously looking at adding another fish, likely a dwarf wrasse. Either a pink-streaked or a possum. I love them both. Besides that, just filling in with coral while I analyze whether I want a larger tank or to ride this one out and tap out if it crashes, overfills (maintenance fragging), etc.
No matter what, next tank will be bare bottom. If it weren't for the sand this tank would be significantly more cleaned up by now.
And that's it!