The White Build- 167 Minimalist Crystal Dynamic Reef

Update-
I picked up some free live rock from a friend today who had decided not to use the rock in her system. It's excellent dead, live rock- nearly 8yrs old. I'd have to guess it's a mix of Pukani and Fiji. I rinsed it and the used a concrete sander to make flat bases and fit pieces together to form the future pillars. I'll seal them tonight and then start curing in a 40g Brute.
PXL_20220228_002217961~2.jpg
PXL_20220228_002229033~2.jpg
PXL_20220228_020209646~2.jpg
PXL_20220228_020314195~2.jpg
PXL_20220228_020324296~2.jpg

 
Filtration
The total system volume is approximately 222g. The sump is 100g Stock tank with approximately 50lbs. of additional live rock.
Skimming is handled by a Nyos Quantum 160- when dialed in it's an excellent skimmer. I have a homemade algae scrubber I built for $9. I also keep a small amount of ulva and cheato in food grade cheese baskets I picked up off of Amazon. I have a single AI Prime that runs from 9pm to 5am. I also run a combination of generic carbon, matrix carbon, BRS ferrous oxide, and phosban in a filter sock for water clarity. *The sump was established nearly 2 years ago.
pxl_20220301_022814014-jpg.2574319


PXL_20220301_022752832.jpg
PXL_20220301_022758966.jpg
PXL_20220301_022738385.jpg


PXL_20220301_022814014.jpg
 
Last edited:
Update-
5 days in the 40g Brute with heat and circulation with no ammonia. The water was clear so I did a water change and tested again 24hrs later. Still no cycle. There didn't seem to be any appreciable die off from the Rick so I placed everything in the display last night. Here's some quick shots with a video to follow. I hope you like my aquascaping work and "floating" coral island vision!
PXL_20220305_144302724~4.jpg
PXL_20220305_144630978~3.jpg
PXL_20220305_144404277~2.jpg
PXL_20220305_144358163~2.jpg
PXL_20220305_144352987~2.jpg
PXL_20220305_144423686~2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Here's some of the corals I picked up at the Frag Farmer's Market. Connecticut puts on the largest single day frag swap in the country.

Pink Japanese Nephtea- true blue-
IMG_20220306_120815.jpg
IMG_20220306_120810.jpg
 
I'm back and saying bye to this build. The tank has been long sold. At some point I'll post videos of how good the tank had started to look and my reasons for eventually breaking it down.
 
I'm back and saying bye to this build. The tank has been long sold. At some point I'll post videos of how good the tank had started to look and my reasons for eventually breaking it down.
Sorry you had to sell the tank!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top