this dang PH number is driving me bananas!

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 8, 2014
Messages
1,227
Reaction score
591
Location
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so its official, i have low ph (7.7-8.0 on water change day), and I'm hoping the Dr. (@Randy Holmes-Farley) can prescribe some clarity. i live in a "moderate" level air quality per the AQI index. i have black sand. my ramping lighting is 9 hours in total. i use Fritz salt and dose the sodium carbonate to help elevate ph. i run a DUAL co2 media scrubber with my intake line OUTSIDE directly into my skimmer. for the life of me i just can't bring myself to put kalk in my ato reservoir. i also micro bubble 3 days a week for 6 hours a pop. (during lights out) during the day and beginning of my lighting period. i tried a new (cheaper than BRS) c02 media and changed my ph probe around the same time i noticed the dip. also, on days its not as hot, i see a higher ph reading on my probe. during the summer months should i pull my intake line inside and rely solely on the media to do its job? i've read a ton of ph related posts on here, sorry for another, but the temp of the air coming in (85-90 on average) hasn't been a talked about issue. if even at all. please feel free to chime in if you've experienced or are experiencing similar issues.
 
Last edited:
This isn't a solution, more of a suggestion... leave it alone? My PH is rarely 8.0, usually 7.8, ALK 7.8, ULNS and it's thriving. Unless you can directly link poor system health to PH alone (seems unlikely) why not let it ride? Don't fix what isn't broke? Just my .02
 
This isn't a solution, more of a suggestion... leave it alone? My PH is rarely 8.0, usually 7.8, ALK 7.8, ULNS and it's thriving. Unless you can directly link poor system health to PH alone (seems unlikely) why not let it ride? Don't fix what isn't broke? Just my .02
Agreed.
 
This isn't a solution, more of a suggestion... leave it alone? My PH is rarely 8.0, usually 7.8, ALK 7.8, ULNS and it's thriving. Unless you can directly link poor system health to PH alone (seems unlikely) why not let it ride? Don't fix what isn't broke? Just my .02
huh... i kinda like your .02 i just feel like i can make it better?

IMG_7144.JPG


IMG_7145.JPG


IMG_7147.JPG
 
Well... learn from my experience. I thought I could get better flow and installed an Ice Cap gyre, thought I could get better circulation so I installed a stronger return pump... I ended up hammering my SPS with too much direct flow and pushed my nutrients to dangerously low levels by turning over my water too fast... So, I guess what i'm saying is listen to your critters, if they look happy then they probably are. When you change things the door swings both ways... could be good, could be bad.
 
Well... learn from my experience. I thought I could get better flow and installed an Ice Cap gyre, thought I could get better circulation so I installed a stronger return pump... I ended up hammering my SPS with too much direct flow and pushed my nutrients to dangerously low levels by turning over my water too fast... So, I guess what i'm saying is listen to your critters, if they look happy then they probably are. When you change things the door swings both ways... could be good, could be bad.
thanks man, and honestly this is the same advice i'd give someone else, sometimes you just need to hear it from someone you don't know to make it click. i am still curious about the heat and that dang number though.
 
if you don't have a refugium with macro algae add one. The algae will consume co2 and raise pH.

If you're not doing in now do the improved diy 2 part system.

Finally always measure pH just before lights out and insure KH is the correct value.

my .02
 
if you don't have a refugium with macro algae add one. The algae will consume co2 and raise pH.

If you're not doing in now do the improved diy 2 part system.

Finally always measure pH just before lights out and insure KH is the correct value.

my .02
i don't run a fuge, i have a red sea reefer 450, but have been thinking of putting one in there... but didn't want to waste the money on something that won't make a difference. @CodyRVA had solid advice that applies to my train of thought. "don't fix what isn't broken is echoing around in there". what is the improved 2 part system you mentioned though?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top