Those who don't do freshwater tanks, why?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dani5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
I wouldn’t put more than 6 fish in a 40 marine, while on freshwater, if keeping smaller fish, you can do much more as the behaviors allow for it.
Totally agree. You could do a large school of ember tetras, neon tetras, harlequin rasboras, or something similar.

You could also have a large shoal of Corydoras or hill stream loaches.
 
BGKF are incredible creatures, very unique. I considered getting a 75g setup for one, but then I found saltwater. ;Facepalm
My 75 is the only FW tank not in danger of becoming a reef tank, everything else either has been converted, or is in plans to be converted :D I'm too attached to my ghost knife and school of clown loaches!
 
BGKF are incredible creatures, very unique. I considered getting a 75g setup for one, but then I found saltwater. ;Facepalm
Not too late! Multiple tank syndrome is a good thing...I think...
I like knives, but not sure if I could do a tank for one. Maybe I’d get the African ones in African riverine biotope with some bichirs and butterflyfish...one day.
 
I tried a planted tank with the wife, it was hard and it ended up getting shut down. It required as much maintenance as my reef.
8CA0094B-CF10-4E4C-BF29-79A12997B9CE.jpeg

Needless to say I’d really like to set it back up‍♂️
 
I had 4 planted freshwater tanks, got a bit bored and now I have 3 and a reef tank, lol. I'd like to convert more into salt!
 
I’ve got a planted tank now...I haven’t dared try anything harder than Val and Amazon sword...
13D0BE97-499D-4CEC-9759-FD575F4ED0CF.jpeg
Ignore the hair algae...I try to. My bn pleco is still on his first week on the job, and the scuds don’t last long...
Stocking is 3 SA Puffers, 6 serpae tetras, 1 bn pleco, and 3? Botia loaches (skunk and sun).
 
I have four freshwater tanks. All are betta tanks XD but two are wild species of bettas; pallifina and albimarginata. All of them have wonderful personalities.
8657CFB2-7CCC-4A55-9A82-1900C80AF13E.jpeg
E52CE9CE-5C1B-4291-9E4E-3B1BC5C3612B.jpeg
CE7E3D37-2AA2-4A19-B305-4B72480DD0DE.jpeg
83CCBA02-4A6A-4AB9-9A96-218E3FE8BFA8.jpeg
8A6ABDD0-743E-420B-A0E2-402D10BD8693.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • 00A6A7D3-2F20-4C5C-B794-881305DDB9F2.jpeg
    00A6A7D3-2F20-4C5C-B794-881305DDB9F2.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 25
I have four freshwater tanks. All are betta tanks XD but two are wild species of bettas; pallifina and albimarginata. All of them have wonderful personalities.
8657CFB2-7CCC-4A55-9A82-1900C80AF13E.jpeg
E52CE9CE-5C1B-4291-9E4E-3B1BC5C3612B.jpeg
CE7E3D37-2AA2-4A19-B305-4B72480DD0DE.jpeg
83CCBA02-4A6A-4AB9-9A96-218E3FE8BFA8.jpeg
8A6ABDD0-743E-420B-A0E2-402D10BD8693.jpeg
GloBetta? That is cool looking...
I’ve always wanted to try the wild bettas, they seem so much like snakeheads (being a close cousin)...but they’re legal!
 
I started with a fresh water planted, but I guess I just kinda got bored. Always seen saltwater in the store and was always awed by it. After my first planted tank, I went to african cichlids. I actually kept them for at least 5 years, but I got tired of always seeing them fight and killing each other.
 

Attachments

  • 100_0416.JPG
    100_0416.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 100_1083.JPG
    100_1083.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 574642_351275054985351_1999186045_n.jpg
    574642_351275054985351_1999186045_n.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 20
I started with a fresh water planted, but I guess I just kinda got bored. Always seen saltwater in the store and was always awed by it. After my first planted tank, I went to african cichlids. I actually kept them for at least 5 years, but I got tired of always seeing them fight and killing each other.
Mbunas...it seems like without hundreds of gallons there is just no way to properly keep them from offing each other.
 
Not too late! Multiple tank syndrome is a good thing...I think...
I like knives, but not sure if I could do a tank for one. Maybe I’d get the African ones in African riverine biotope with some bichirs and butterflyfish...one day.
Lol, I’m spending all of my money on my 29g as it is. I couldn’t handle another tank!
 
Lol, I’m spending all of my money on my 29g as it is. I couldn’t handle another tank!
It’s amazing how my 13.5 gallon tank costs more than my combined 160+ gallons of freshwater...
And is twice as much work.
I know it’s all about what you keep, but man a reef is annoying.
At least the plus of corals vs plants is that they can react to surroundings to stay alive (to a degree). Plants just let crap happen to them.
 
Don't get me wrong, freshwater has it's personality and is a PITA to keep maintained. In a reef I have so much helping me to be lazy I love it.
I haven't set up a freshwater tank since 2006. I can't go back to the headache.
 
I bought a Reefer 350 knowing I would eventually use it for a saltwater tank. I miss it in its planted glory.

It has since been converted and is my main display.. I'm upgrading to a Reefer-S-1000 later this year, and I'm strongly considering converting the 350 back to freshwater rather than selling it.

The only issue I ever had was being unsatisfied with the scape and constantly changing it...

1627662030062.png


1627661856283.png


1627661886033.png


1627662004771.png
 
I bought a Reefer 350 knowing I would eventually use it for a saltwater tank. I miss it in its planted glory.

It has since been converted and is my main display.. I'm upgrading to a Reefer-S-1000 later this year, and I'm strongly considering converting the 350 back to freshwater rather than selling it.

The only issue I ever had was being unsatisfied with the scape and constantly changing it...

1627662030062.png


1627661856283.png


1627661886033.png


1627662004771.png
Get cichlids...they change the scape for you lol
 
OMG, oscars... and frontosas...
My mbunas were bad. My convict and parrot pair have completely messed up their part of the tank. I may get a front if I ever did a rift lake setup again.
I haven’t had the joy of keeping an Oscar yet...but their reputation is well noted.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top