I had planted tanks for many years. I went very high tech with my tanks. I also built my own led lighting systems and tailored the led light spectrums to produce lush growth, color and flowering. You can have more than just green plants. I would mineralize my own soil for my tanks and I would dose various nutrients. I also grew and sold plants online to support my habit. I had sophisticated CO2 systems with Mazzei injectors and I used sumps vs canister filters on most of my tanks. I didn't have AWC, I wish I did, but I got my water changes down to a science. I would start multiple tanks with siphon hoses setup to remove a certain amount of water. As water was coming out of some tanks, new water was going into others. Still it took me 4-5 hours to do my water changes with all the tanks I had. I also looked for unique plants and fish. I was a member of a local FW club and we would meet on a monthly basis and swap plants. My one brother had a 27 acre heavily treed property with a large amount of deadwood that I would search through each spring to find unique wood pieces for my tanks. I would also go each spring with members from a local fish club I attended and we would collect local fish (yes we had special permits) So I also had native fish biotype tanks. One of my favorite native fish were the dart fish. I would transition the native fish from live foods to pellets over time. At the height of my FW tank career (lol), I had a 200 gallon, 75 gallon, 65 gallon, 40 gallon and a 20 gallon tank on the main level of my house. In my basement I had a room that was 18'x24' dedicated to FW tanks. I had a 150 gallon, 3 - 55 gallon, 6 - 10 gallon, 4 - 30 gallon and 5 - 20 gallon tanks. Personally I felt my FW tanks were way more work vs my SW tanks. Plants would grow quickly and needed lots of trimming, hence the online sales. I would raise FW shrimp and breed SA cichlids. I also had a 5000 gallon pond full of all types of aquatic plants in my yard with Koi and native fish.
Where I was at I had decent city water and well water for my tanks, so I didn't have to mess with making special water. I did have an RO/DI setup for my top of water. I would pump the waste water outside and water my landscaping with it. Where I am at now in AZ, our water is liquid rock with TDS levels at 650. I would have to use my RO/DI water to create the proper water conditions for plants and fish. It would be just as time intensive as my SW tanks and I would need additional water storage containers to do it. So for me right now having FW tanks is not an option. At some point down the road if I get tired of my SW tanks, FW is always an option. Most of my equipment would transition over with some tweaks.