Time to join the bandwagon, buying a Chalice

Bustyraker

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2013
Messages
530
Reaction score
131
Location
Hagerstown MD
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lfs in my area has a killer deal on some chalice. Didn't buy today because I wanted to do some research. I've heard that a Hollywood Stunner Chalice is very easy and moderate growing. How difficult are these? I seem to have bad luck with favia but have had success with alot of other corals, I have frogspawn, hammer, candy canes, goniopora, and alot of SPS such as montipora and birdsnest. So far the only coral I haven't been able to keep alive is favia. Should I try the Hollywood Stunner? It's $65 for a colony about 3 inches or more in diameter and they have several of them
 
Hollywood stunner is very easy! I would rather spend that money on a nicer one like a miami hurricane since you could always trade in frags of it to your LFS.
 
I love the look of the Hollywood stunner! I'm sure ill be purchasing others. I'm hooked already and I don't even own one yet! What is there growth rate like? I know most chalices ill be retired before I see growth
 
Hollywood stunner is a very fast grower. Its hard to give an approximate growth rate since I don't measure anything. A guess would be 1/4-1/2in in a month if parameters and lighting are perfect. You can definitely have a large colony in a year.

Only word of caution: its has long sweeper tentacles at night.... does not do well with neighbors

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
 
+1 on the sweepers. Fasted growing chalice I've ever owned.
 
Last edited:
Looks like ill be buying one this week, I just bought a montipora spongodes today. Is $65 a good price on a 3-4 inch diameter Hollywood stunner?
 
Hollywood stunner is a very fast grower. Its hard to give an approximate growth rate since I don't measure anything. A guess would be 1/4-1/2in in a month if parameters and lighting are perfect. You can definitely have a large colony in a year.

Only word of caution: its has long sweeper tentacles at night.... does not do well with neighbors

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

We just brought our Colony into the LFS and Traded for a couple fish.. And as stated by the last few posts, Their Sweepers are Very Long!! They killed a Bi-Color OctoSpawn we had about 3 inches away! So Just be careful with Corals around it if you decide to grab that guy. Hope to see pics Soon!!
 
e4u3ezyt.jpg


Hard to see the true color of it but here it is!
It has a very nice purple rim around it but hard to get a good pic with my LEDs
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top