Timers that stand the test of time

YankeeTankee

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 15, 2019
Messages
481
Reaction score
1,046
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for the most reliable timer that I can rely on to work for many years.

I was looking at mechanical intermatic timers, but also wondering if simple amazon smart plugs are more reliable that one might think. If anyone has a suggestion please be specific about the model, thanks!
 
Kasa WiFi plugs and 6 outlet power strip the best to use. Easy to work with on a smart phone.
 
Smart plugs will need to be around and working for another decade before they will be as reliable as a mechanical timer. I had to replace one from about 1995 because the tabs on the plastic got worn that it was starting to sometimes not turn on - I could not find any replacement tabs or it would still be in service.
 
Last edited:
Smart plugs don't rely on batteries or their own timekeeping, so they are less frustrating than the outlet timers you can get at Home Depot in that they don't drift or require replacement.

I have been moving all of my lighting to smart timers as I get a chance. It even tells me when something goes offline, which usually means the power is out at my house.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top