Tips for Thanksgiving Guests and Your Reef Tank?

Do you get excited about sharing your tank with Thanksgiving visitors?

  • Yes I love it

    Votes: 165 58.3%
  • No I don't care too much about it

    Votes: 26 9.2%
  • I don't have anyone over for Thanksgiving

    Votes: 81 28.6%
  • Other (please explain)

    Votes: 11 3.9%

  • Total voters
    283
I always keep my tank clean ( a bit OCD) my fish and corals depend on me so its my job to keep their house clean like I do for myself. But I do get upset for comments about filleting some of my 13 inch really fat fish . Sorry but I wouldn't say that about someone's pet. I know they are kidding but it really bothers me. I have had every fish from babies and have had them many years. I do like to hand feed corals in front of guest everyone loves to see them close up as they are eating some sliders, or the crabs grabbing food and my huge brittle starfish with their arms comming out from under the rocks to grab food. I'm a proud Mama
 
I think providing quick tips to guests helps (the usual items like "do not tap the glass, sorry you can't feed the fish, shrimps, or corals; try not to mad-dash it to the tank.."). I'm glad my son is involved with the tanks---bc he's been good about letting his friends and others know what isn't cool to do.

If tank maintenance falls around the time of visitors great, I generally don't break the routine too often. Just as mentioned already, I do make it a point to store scrapers, magnets, nets, or coral feeding gear, coral tongs, and (rinse and dry out) food feeder ring in the garage cart with my other gear and chemicals.

Since the ATO reservoirs are nearby, I get more questions (e.g., what's that?) than problems with people messing with them.

When guests jump onto our guest Wi-Fi, they do see a sign-on screen with a few rules laid out for Internet and tank stuff too.
 
We don't have anyone over for Thnx. We go out for dinner. Although with some of the horrors comments I have read and if I WERE to have kids over ,I would definitely get a magnetic alarm for the aquarium cabinate doors. Might save the day.
 
This year TG will be smaller only about 24 people. The tanks are usually in very good condition. Glass cleaned sumps cleaned and organized almost like any other day. It just makes maintenance quick and easy so no real extra effort except maybe a little longer on cleaning the glass and stands. I look forward to people asking about the tanks as I am proud of them and sometimes get nerdie if the conversations go that way. Food will be on hand to feed the fish and the kids love feeding the Seahorses as they are trained to eat from the hand.
 
had to laugh when I saw this poll. Sadly to say, When I get such company, its the adults Im concerned with. Most kids will gaze and do what kids do. . . Jump around or run around. The darn adults are literally placing their nose on the nose or tapping on the tank or pointing at the fish while theyre in swim motion causing them to crash into glass or run for theirr life like the lockness monster was just spotted.
Generally we go out for Thanksgiving and have company for Christmas. Last Saturday I had a few reefers over for club meeting and dinner and so relieving to had people over who understood edequate around reef tanks
 
1. What are some tips for hosting people, kids, around your reef tank for Thanksgiving?

This year we are not having anyone, however, whenever we have someone with kids over I let them look at the tank for a bit, then the door to that room gets closed.

2. What are some things you like to do to get your tank ready to be viewed by visitors? Cleaning list, new stock, ect?


Clean the glass and empty the skimmer cup. Everything else is taken care of on a daily basis.
 
I unfortunately don’t get the pleasure of sharing my tank during the holiday’s. I’m kinda glad though cause money is one of the first things always brought up anytime someone sees it. I do it purely for my enjoyment.
 
Wasn’t on Thanksgiving, I had a Brat put Copper Pennies in my tank. Found them right after he left. Tore that tank up making sure I got all of them. BTW, found out he had done the same thing to a tank at school, just before the Winter Holiday, and killed everything in a fresh water tank. BTW, It’s the Zinc, that is so bad.
 
I tell them not to breathe. My PH is more important than “people”…



I’m kidding. Lol.
 
Since I still live at my parents my tank really doesn’t get seen by anyone often but next month my girlfriend and I close on our first house. I can’t wait to host events and finally have people see my tank!
 
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I usually have everyone down to my house. I've already hosted several family dinners since getting the tank up, so I don't really have any concerns in that regard. It's just going to be my sister and her kids this year, with the youngest being 16, and they've already had the grand tour. ;)
 
No advise on this subject. We go over to the inlaws. 0 aquariums over there with 15+ people. Not one of them knows a penny about reef keeping. Not something they want to talk about either.

At least my house can be queit :)
Eat fast and get back home to your tanks!
 
With Thanksgiving right around the corner I thought it would be a good idea for us to talk about tips for hosting guests in and around our reef tanks! A couple things come to mind quickly for me like visiting children and even just making your tank look really clean for people to enjoy! Let's discuss!

1. What are some tips for hosting people, kids, around your reef tank for Thanksgiving?

2. What are some things you like to do to get your tank ready to be viewed by visitors? Cleaning list, new stock, ect?


bigstock-Cute-Little-Toddler-Girl-Visit-380669722.jpg
Last time a ton of little kids where at my house, there where finger prints ALL over my tank.
 
I actually HAD interest in my tank this year. The father in law thought it was like those nature videos he sees on public television. Both nieces were really into it, they are in their twenties, one was in the kitchen eating while the other one was taking video through the tank. I heard it made it on tik tok.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top