To build or not to build.... That is the question

Rocklefrag

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 29, 2018
Messages
306
Reaction score
354
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I am new here but have been reading and doing research here for quite a while. I had a small 20 gallon reef some years ago and am looking to get back into the hobby in the next year with my daughter who just turned 1 as she loves going to the aquarium and looking and fish and coral not to mention I have been looking for an excuse to convince my wife to start another reef tank. I own my own construction company and am very handy and have almost every tool you could ever need. So my question is should I build my own tank or not? I am really into shallow tanks so the thought would be for a 72" long x 24" wide x 16" tall. I am thinking acrylic since I mentioned kids glass makes me nervous. I figured 1/2 acrylic with eurobraced top. I would love to buy a tank and save time but buying this size tank seems expensive. Please let me know what you guys think I would appreciate any feedback as I know there are a lot of experts and great reefers on here that seem to be willing to help. Thanks from a new reef2reef member.
 
If you are handy with a router I'd do a few test pieces and see if you can get smooth edges. We are talking zero machine marks or pits. I built my 96"x22"x22" out of 1/2" acrylic and my seams weren't perfect so I got paranoid and ran filets of weld on 40 along all of the seams. The tank has held up great and it was a 1/4 of the price of buying one but I'm still paranoid that I'm going to come home to a flooded floor. Building a plywood tank would be much more forgiving.

And I would go as big as you possibly can because there is a good chance you will have wish you would have went bigger. Next year I'm going to start a 120" plywood tank to replace the 96" acrylic.
 
If you are handy with a router I'd do a few test pieces and see if you can get smooth edges. We are talking zero machine marks or pits. I built my 96"x22"x22" out of 1/2" acrylic and my seams weren't perfect so I got paranoid and ran filets of weld on 40 along all of the seams. The tank has held up great and it was a 1/4 of the price of buying one but I'm still paranoid that I'm going to come home to a flooded floor. Building a plywood tank would be much more forgiving.

And I would go as big as you possibly can because there is a good chance you will have wish you would have went bigger. Next year I'm going to start a 120" plywood tank to replace the 96" acrylic.
If you are handy with a router I'd do a few test pieces and see if you can get smooth edges. We are talking zero machine marks or pits. I built my 96"x22"x22" out of 1/2" acrylic and my seams weren't perfect so I got paranoid and ran filets of weld on 40 along all of the seams. The tank has held up great and it was a 1/4 of the price of buying one but I'm still paranoid that I'm going to come home to a flooded floor. Building a plywood tank would be much more forgiving.

And I would go as big as you possibly can because there is a good chance you will have wish you would have went bigger. Next year I'm going to start a 120" plywood tank to replace the 96" acrylic.

Thanks for the reply! Did a quick search for plywood tank and don't see to much info on here.
Any advice on where to do some research?
 
If you build it they will come....... I needed an odd size tank. The price was out of this world. I saved 70% by building it myself.
http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/38910-tank-sump-build-500-gal/
You can read what I went thru to build it.
If i can make a sugestion. Unless you are good with a router its not too much more to have an acrylic supplier cut and route the pieces on a cnc machine. This will save you some gray hair. Chose your materials after doing the research including the welding cement. If after practicing you can not make great seams with weldon 3 or 4 weldon # 40 is a bit more forgiving on thicker materials.
 
If you build it they will come....... I needed an odd size tank. The price was out of this world. I saved 70% by building it myself.
http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/38910-tank-sump-build-500-gal/
You can read what I went thru to build it.
If i can make a sugestion. Unless you are good with a router its not too much more to have an acrylic supplier cut and route the pieces on a cnc machine. This will save you some gray hair. Chose your materials after doing the research including the welding cement. If after practicing you can not make great seams with weldon 3 or 4 weldon # 40 is a bit more forgiving on thicker

Wow is all I can say! Your setup is very impressive and for sure a dream tank. Much respect.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top