To gravel vac or not?

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 3, 2016
Messages
1,059
Reaction score
723
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there

I’m in the process of building up my tank. I have fish and a 2” special grade reef sand bed by Caribsea.

I only have Macro Rock and pods right now - no corals yet. At this point should I leave my sand bed alone since I don’t have anything to stir the sand? I have CUC and I’m kinda stuck since I cant QT my inverts at the moment.
 
If you're fully cycled and parameters are stable and you feel the sand is getting dirty to the point that your CUC isn't keeping up, then absolutely go right ahead. However if you're still cycling absolutely do not, as vacuuming means a water change and you don't want to do a water change until after your cycle is complete unless ammonia levels get to the point where your fish you have are in danger.

I'm going to assume that because you said you have fish that your tank is cycled, so if you feel a gravel vac would help things look good, go for it!
 
If you're fully cycled and parameters are stable and you feel the sand is getting dirty to the point that your CUC isn't keeping up, then absolutely go right ahead. However if you're still cycling absolutely do not, as vacuuming means a water change and you don't want to do a water change until after your cycle is complete unless ammonia levels get to the point where your fish you have are in danger.

I'm going to assume that because you said you have fish that your tank is cycled, so if you feel a gravel vac would help things look good, go for it!

Hi there,

Yes it’s cycled and I’m starting to have coraline grow. Just don’t have a CUC [emoji28]

Parameters have been stable. I’ve been around 0.15 for phosphates and about 10 for nitrates. It’s mostly aesthetics and concern that the sand could have nasty stuff because nothing is in there except the wrasses when they go to sleep.
 
Hi there,

Yes it’s cycled and I’m starting to have coraline grow. Just don’t have a CUC [emoji28]

Missed that CUC part. If you don't have a CUC then essentially you will be relying on your filtration systems and your gravel vac to be the CUC! Get the hoover out!
 
Iv'e been vacumning the sand in the new tank. I want to stay ahead of the inevitable Ha I always get.
 
What vacs are you guys using? I need to pick one up ASAP.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top