To Mesh or to Felt, That is the Question...

Do you:

  • Use Mesh Filter Socks

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Use Felt Filter Socks

    Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Psssshhhh. I don't need no stinking Nitrate Factory, that's what skimmers are for!

    Votes: 1 3.4%

  • Total voters
    29

seastar

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 12, 2015
Messages
679
Reaction score
759
Location
St Johns, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use felt socks (2oo micron) but loathe the cleaning process (Wife won't allow them in the washing machine).

Can you please help me take a quick poll and add your opinion? I am thinking of going over to 200 Micron 7" x 14" (can't find 100 micron) Mesh socks.
 
I built a small box like structure with a side missing with egg crate and zip ties to hold pillow stuffing I buy by the bag for $3 from wall mart. Put a wad of the batting in the box and the drain line runs right into it and catches particles. Throw the wad out and replace with a new wad every couple of days. Does the trick.
 
Interested in the results!
 
100 micron mesh, felt clogs too fast
 
Last edited:
Great! I am strongly thinking 100 micron mesh as in my research it seems 200 micron lets too many particles into the sump. I have read others will toss in the 200 micron if they are going out of town in order to protect a bit against a potential clog.

This sounding pretty inline with what other's have come across?
 
I stopped using filter socks and decided to use quilt batting for that same reason. It was a hassle to clean. Now it very easy, just grab, throw away and put a new one.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top