To move or not to move - that is the question

ReefLife_Guy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 6, 2022
Messages
425
Reaction score
572
Location
Birmingham, AL
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since when do bubble tip anemones move around from the original spot I put them in??!!!
tempImageda1fmW.jpg


:face-with-tears-of-joy: All joking aside....Circus, my GBTA, is on the move for the first time since I got him. For those crazy people like me who want to keep nems and corals, what is your threshold for moving corals or trying to convince your nem he doesn't like his new spot? If both euphyllia and nems sting, who stings harder? My green torch has retracted his polyps slightly and so has the nem, they don't seem to hate each other but if this is a disaster waiting to happen I will happily move my torch or direct my power head toward the nem. I think my nem moved because he is being harassed by a cleaner shrimp who I have tried to discipline with a turkey baster blast but he doesn't care to be trained. Pierre, the cleaner shrimp, might have to go to the sump if he can't learn to keep his hands to himself.
 
Once a nem is put in the tank, the nem is in charge of it. Move other coral if necessary, never the anemone.
 
I would move if you keep seeing them fighting or if torch doesn’t look great , I had nems near a torch and they would battle every now and then but no damage came from it. Another time the same nem killed a Goni and melted Kenya trees , so I really have no idea what triggers the battle ,
I think the nems were peaceful until coral reacted. Now my only coral is Xenia / zoas / anthelia / GSP and the nems never sting these types
 

Attachments

  • 67D7DB1D-43BB-4DCC-A31D-5090ADFEEDCD.jpeg
    67D7DB1D-43BB-4DCC-A31D-5090ADFEEDCD.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 39
Once a nem is put in the tank, the nem is in charge of it. Move other coral if necessary, never the anemone.
Yeah, I wouldn't try to move him. I might ask him to move with powerhead but I'll always move the corals before I peel him off a rock. I just like my euphyllia where they are and if they can live in harmony I would be fine with the nem where he is but if I'm going to wake up to dead torches, I'd rather move them now than experiment with them being next to each other.
 
Torch and nems for reference , I would see the torch attacking the nem occasionally but nem was unbothered
 

Attachments

  • B93543A9-BC82-49CB-91B5-C7CFBD1E9142.jpeg
    B93543A9-BC82-49CB-91B5-C7CFBD1E9142.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 43
I would move if you keep seeing them fighting or if torch doesn’t look great , I had nems near a torch and they would battle every now and then but no damage came from it. Another time the same nem killed a Goni and melted Kenya trees , so I really have no idea what triggers the battle ,
I think the nems were peaceful until coral reacted. Now my only coral is Xenia / zoas / anthelia / GSP and the nems never sting these types
How quickly do they kill things? Will I be able to catch it before the coral dies or could it kill it overnight?
 
How quickly do they kill things? Will I be able to catch it before the coral dies or could it kill it overnight?
It really depends , I think nem has capability of instant death or enough to damage to cause BJD
 
It really depends , I think nem has capability of instant death or enough to damage to cause BJD
That's what I figured, I'll probably watch and think about moving the torch if things look dicey. I kept these guys on their frag plugs just in case I needed to move them for this exact reason
 
A wise person once said nems don't have brains. If the foot is loose, I don't see a problem with moving to a spot that it may like.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top