Top 3-5 causes for bad fish tank smell

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
1,809
Reaction score
1,373
Location
WI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what it is, but for some reason my area where the tank is just smells like bad fish for the past week. Skimmer is on, UV is on, and I placed a fresh bag of chemipure in the sump.

I had a wrasse jump and later found which I thought was the source. It persisted after removing the poor guy from the floor. Could it be the skimmer cup itself? I haven't had an issue with it before; smells more of fishy than skimmate.
 
Do you have somewhere (overflow, fuge) that algae is coming out of the water?

Is carbon helping at all?
 
How often do you do water changes? My tanks (especially the outdoor ones) have a tendency to give off that "smelly beach/poorly maintained humid LFS" smell when I haven't done enough water changes. And also when I've been feeding too much PE Mysis...

And how is ventilation around the area? I have recently learned that just because a room is connected to the rest of the house, does not mean that it will smell the same as the house (i.e. one room can stink. a lot.). Adequate ventilation can help a great deal when it comes to areas that seem to stink for no reason.

And did you make sure to clean the area the fish landed in? Does the area smell specifically like triethylamines (the "rotting fish" smell)?
 
I keep polyfil in the overflow box so algae could potentially be above the water there depending on the position of the polyfil. I usually change it every week.

The PE mysis thing may be it though. I got back into rotating that through my feeds to vary the fishes diets. Especially last evening, I had to rinse the cup several times the smell of that thawed is strong.

For sure on cleaning the wrasse landing pad, and the smell ive noticed despite cooler fall temps and having the windows open, which I thought would've helped.
 
My giant ball of chaeto is what smells in my sump room and the skimmer collector
 
does running carbon help with smell.. wife is planning a divorce over this.. LOL... i have no smell she on the other hand can walk in the house an hour after feeding the tank and smell the thawing food that was feed.. i actually know keep some bleach in my bucket where the skimate flows to.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top