Having the night to think more on this, I honestly believe that eli isn't going to stop, based on the simple fact that he tried to get the money back after making things [simi] right. The consequences were extremely low for him, and by his account, worth doing it again.
This is a perfect example of someone needing to be removed from society for a period of time in order to reflect on his actions and understand the consequences if he does it again. By leaving the authorities out and only paying the money back, in a way you have condoned it and told him that his actions are okay as long as he gives back what he has stolen when he gets caught.
All you're doing is creating a better criminal, one that will learn from these mistakes and hone his skills further. I encourage that the parties involved really think hard about pressing charges. I know he's not a murderer or a rapist but this is your chance to stop future crimes against unsuspecting people.