Transfered to a new tank, looking for advice

Dhalterman1984

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 25, 2022
Messages
35
Reaction score
3
Location
Manchester
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet knocked down my fish a few months ago.
So I decided to upgrade by downsizing my tank to a nano 25 cube with a custom sump for all my gear. Total tank volume isn't perfectly calculated yet but it's around 30 gal.

Anyway. old tank was 65 gallons. It was fish only for around three years. And I maintained the balance in it for about a year until I shut it down.

So, the New tank seems to not maintain a decent pH.
It has the same cycled rock (re-scaped) and equipment. With addition of aragonite sand bed as I was bare bottom on the old tank.

I dosed Randy's alk 1 and calcium 1 recipes to make some initial adjustments. And have brs magnesium.

For whatever reason, my fresh mixed salt is mixing lower than it says it should.

I have a brand new red sea foundation test kit with I've been using that same kit for a while and feel comfortable with it

But I'm not seeing the same results when I check the next day. As if I dumped the 2 part down the sink instead.

I attached a ph log with testing overlayed.

I'm not sure I fully understand what's going on in the water.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And thanks for taking the time.
Screenshot_20220415-093926.png
 
When are you testing your pH and are you testing it at the same time during the day each time? If not, that will explain some of the discrepancy as pH naturally fluctuates during the day.

A pH range of 7.8 to 8.2 during the day is fairly normal. Are you using the Red Sea kit for testing pH? (not sure how you're getting those values)
 
Every once in a while you buy a bucket of salt that isn't completely living up to its advertised specs , whether it’s a batch issue or not properly mixed during the manufacturing process . I have a large mixing container that I make my water up in and after I add my salt to the RO water I let it mix for a day then the next day I test and add alkalinity,magnesium,or calcium as needed so when I do my water changes there is little change in chemistry which helps to keep consistency.
 
Velvet knocked down my fish a few months ago.
So I decided to upgrade by downsizing my tank to a nano 25 cube with a custom sump for all my gear. Total tank volume isn't perfectly calculated yet but it's around 30 gal.

Anyway. old tank was 65 gallons. It was fish only for around three years. And I maintained the balance in it for about a year until I shut it down.

So, the New tank seems to not maintain a decent pH.
It has the same cycled rock (re-scaped) and equipment. With addition of aragonite sand bed as I was bare bottom on the old tank.

I dosed Randy's alk 1 and calcium 1 recipes to make some initial adjustments. And have brs magnesium.

For whatever reason, my fresh mixed salt is mixing lower than it says it should.

I have a brand new red sea foundation test kit with I've been using that same kit for a while and feel comfortable with it

But I'm not seeing the same results when I check the next day. As if I dumped the 2 part down the sink instead.

I attached a ph log with testing overlayed.

I'm not sure I fully understand what's going on in the water.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And thanks for taking the time.
When are you testing your pH and are you testing it at the same time during the day each time? If not, that will explain some of the discrepancy as pH naturally fluctuates during the day.

A pH range of 7.8 to 8.2 during the day is fairly normal. Are you using the Red Sea kit for testing pH? (not sure how you're getting those values
Neptune Apex pH probe.
I test in the evening before bed usually.
The pH fluctuation is dropping below 7.8 so I am chasing my elements. Which they themselves don't seem to be stabilizing.

Given there is no demand other than the Coraline starting. I'm not sure why my parameters are dropping.

Thanks!
 
Every once in a while you buy a bucket of salt that isn't completely living up to its advertised specs , whether it’s a batch issue or not properly mixed during the manufacturing process . I have a large mixing container that I make my water up in and after I add my salt to the RO water I let it mix for a day then the next day I test and add alkalinity,magnesium,or calcium as needed so when I do my water changes there is little change in chemistry which helps to keep consistency.
I will be doing that when I do water changes.
I have no fish right now, gotta wait till next month for fallow to end.
 
Manually test with hanna or salifert test kit. the Apex probes are not 100% and if allowed to exposure to air and dry- inaccurate.
I just replaced mine which kept reading 1.57
Also try calibrating
 
What's your air circulation like? I've never had a problem with pH but I also have an air exchange in my house.
I have an air tube running out side to my skimmer.
So about 15 min ago I opened the cabinet and discovered my skimmer wasnt pulling air.

Pulled the venturis and found no blockage where it always crusts up. Put it back on and bubbles came, now I'm back above 7.8.....

(Smacks head).
Next time I'll open the cabinet before I waste everyone's time....
 
I have an air tube running out side to my skimmer.
So about 15 min ago I opened the cabinet and discovered my skimmer wasnt pulling air.

Pulled the venturis and found no blockage where it always crusts up. Put it back on and bubbles came, now I'm back above 7.8.....

(Smacks head).
Next time I'll open the cabinet before I waste everyone's time....
Glad you were able to troubleshoot it. Look at the plus side - posting here probably resulted in locating it faster. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
 
Glad you were able to troubleshoot it. Look at the plus side - posting here probably resulted in locating it faster. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I have the one year old running around getting into everything so I ziptied the cabinet doors.

Thanks everyone!!!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top