Transferring 150 gallon reef to new tank

Bthomas

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 22, 2014
Messages
792
Reaction score
241
Location
Louisville, KY
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im planning to purchase a new 150 gallon tank/stand etc and it will be going in the same spot the existing tank is. I will not be able to carry the old tank out of the house and get the new one in so I will likely need to hire movers to do that for me. How long will i be able to keep rock/fish/coral/water in tubs if im not able to get them here to move tanks same day? I will also need to purchase tubs or something to store the 150 gallons of water and something to put coral and fish and rocks in. Any tips or ideas for temporary storage?

I did talk with someone at my local fish store that is willing to do the transfer for me for around 600 bucks, im just not sure that would be worth it when im able to do everything except carrying tanks in and out.

Any advice welcome :)
Beth
 
So im planning to purchase a new 150 gallon tank/stand etc and it will be going in the same spot the existing tank is. I will not be able to carry the old tank out of the house and get the new one in so I will likely need to hire movers to do that for me. How long will i be able to keep rock/fish/coral/water in tubs if im not able to get them here to move tanks same day? I will also need to purchase tubs or something to store the 150 gallons of water and something to put coral and fish and rocks in. Any tips or ideas for temporary storage?

I did talk with someone at my local fish store that is willing to do the transfer for me for around 600 bucks, im just not sure that would be worth it when im able to do everything except carrying tanks in and out.

Any advice welcome :)
Beth
Lower tank to less than half- Salvage water in tubs/buckets. Get several pieces of 1.25 -1.5." pvc pipe and utilizing a couple of strong persons, lift left or right side of stand onto the pipe and they become rollers. Just roll slowly to Avoid splashing and get tank out of the way and refill when its off to the side supporting livestock until you are ready for transfer day.
 
So im planning to purchase a new 150 gallon tank/stand etc and it will be going in the same spot the existing tank is. I will not be able to carry the old tank out of the house and get the new one in so I will likely need to hire movers to do that for me. How long will i be able to keep rock/fish/coral/water in tubs if im not able to get them here to move tanks same day? I will also need to purchase tubs or something to store the 150 gallons of water and something to put coral and fish and rocks in. Any tips or ideas for temporary storage?

I did talk with someone at my local fish store that is willing to do the transfer for me for around 600 bucks, im just not sure that would be worth it when im able to do everything except carrying tanks in and out.

Any advice welcome :)
Beth
How fragile are the corals? Moving sps on rocks different than lps
 
Lower tank to less than half- Salvage water in tubs/buckets. Get several pieces of 1.25 -1.5." pvc pipe and utilizing a couple of strong persons, lift left or right side of stand onto the pipe and they become rollers. Just roll slowly to Avoid splashing and get tank out of the way and refill when its off to the side supporting livestock until you are ready for transfer day.
Dont think this will work for me. Even if I did manage to move the tank which I doubt I would be able to. I wouldn't have any other place close by the sit it out of the way
 
Not very fragile. Euphyllia, leathers, zoas, blastos etc.
I did this for a 20 gallon move.
Used coolers and buckets with water from tank to store livestock for 1 or 2 days.
Store tank water temporarily
Mix some fresh saltwater
Swap tanks, substrate, rocks
Fill with tank water and fresh salt water.
Transfer livestock when at temp.
 
So im planning to purchase a new 150 gallon tank/stand etc and it will be going in the same spot the existing tank is. I will not be able to carry the old tank out of the house and get the new one in so I will likely need to hire movers to do that for me. How long will i be able to keep rock/fish/coral/water in tubs if im not able to get them here to move tanks same day? I will also need to purchase tubs or something to store the 150 gallons of water and something to put coral and fish and rocks in. Any tips or ideas for temporary storage?

I did talk with someone at my local fish store that is willing to do the transfer for me for around 600 bucks, im just not sure that would be worth it when im able to do everything except carrying tanks in and out.

Any advice welcome :)
Beth
When upgraded one of my tanks it took a week so what i did was put them in 2 very basic 20 gallons while the new tank was getting worked on
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top