I had some issues with a some kind of weird macro algea, but it seems to have diminished with the help of a little manual removal.
Although I’m not entirely sure what it is, or where it came from, the best guess I have is something similar to chondria. I haven’t been able to find anything exactly matching this, but an increase in light intensity and flow seemed to help eradicate it.
The red turf algea on the original 10 trochus I received ( and furiously scraped) seems to have returned to their shells and subsequently spread to the rocks to some degree. I am in the process of trying to procure a Mexican turbo or two to help out with this.
The coralline growth has continued to increase and there now seems to be some other colors/species colonizing. The typical purple has popped up on the pumps and some rock, as well as a nice spotty blue color and some other light green/ yellow intermixed.
I will say I have been SO lucky to have yet (knock on wood) experienced any noticeable dinoflagellates, diatoms (odd), hair algea, or crazy bacterial blooms. I want to attribute this to firstly; the process I implemented of no light, then low light with a short photo period before moving to the planned photoperiod and lighting schedule, and secondly the addition of Microbacter xlm, Microbacter 7, ARC pink and purple, and algae barn phyto and pods.
I have been in a battle trying to keep phosphates up as well.. despite that, most of the tester corals have been doing great. I fought some red bugs and had to dip in Bayer a couple of days in a row, but it seems I have won!
Besides a rainbow monti, who is doing horribly for some reason. I have experienced an increase in growth and/or color in the first corals introduced..
the forest fire/ bubblegum monti has exhibited growth, but it’s flesh has paled to a white, while the polyps have become a more vibrant orange with one or two green ones:
Feb 1
Mar
The Paletta pink tip micro frag has almost encrusted the frag plug, and is reaching several edges.
Feb 1
Mar 2
The no name super fuzzy blue green awesome acro I picked up that was absolutely infested with red bugs is doing super well! The polyps have transitioned from a brown color to a green/orange color and the tips are now glowing! If anyone can ID this I’d appreciate it.
Feb 4- showing red bug infestation
Feb 11- red bug “free”
Mar 2
The “bonsai” type acro I added responded rather poorly to the Bayer dip and died back on the edges a bit, and lost color. The edges actually grew algea... it seems to have recovered ok!
Feb 9
Mar 2
The “wild” tenuis frag remains largely unchanged. A couple of the polyps seem to be gaining the slightest amount of color.. here’s an updated shot:
I also added a frag of ORA red planet, and although it didn’t look fantastic when I bought it, it has admittedly browned out significantly..
Feb 9
Mar 2
I also added a lepto, maybe a JF lethal, I placed it mostly in a cave under an overhang and it seems to be happy
Feb 9
Mar 2
Besides those guys, I picked up a few frags from
@BoomCorals, who is amazing to work with btw. A couple of corals came in, in rougher shape than I’d imagined, but I’ve never ordered online so it’s probably par for the course. The packing job was superb, and the sizes were fantastic! They came in Wednesday Feb 24 and are all doing well so far! I would definitely recommend this seller, if for nothing else than his customer service and communication. Here’s a quick pic of what I got:
Feb 24
Mar 2
I also grabbed a very fairly priced frag of Rastas