Tropic Marin salt from Germany mixed brown

Did you report this to TropicMarin or ever get any response? I stopped watching TM news a few months back so wasn’t sure if they’ve made any other statements besides ‘see nothing wrong with our salt’ stance.
I didn’t report it to them. Honestly it is their job to manage their QC - not mine and after the Turkey issue and having them say nothing was wrong I’m a little jaded. I think the salt I used after getting replacement salt from Germany was still an issue. I kept losing Acro’s from the top/middle down - but the base would never die. My theory is what ever was in the salt was getting stuck in the polyps and branching of the Acro’s causing those areas to RTN while the base was never effected. So I clipped the top of the colony off and now the base is growing again. I’ve gone back to Reef Crystals. I’ve used RC forever and only moved to TM because of all the success I was seeing. I know RC doesn’t mix clear but I know what it does and what to expect. TM is selling a big expectation and in my mind they have a long way to go.
 
I didn’t report it to them. Honestly it is their job to manage their QC - not mine and after the Turkey issue and having them say nothing was wrong I’m a little jaded. I think the salt I used after getting replacement salt from Germany was still an issue. I kept losing Acro’s from the top/middle down - but the base would never die. My theory is what ever was in the salt was getting stuck in the polyps and branching of the Acro’s causing those areas to RTN while the base was never effected. So I clipped the top of the colony off and now the base is growing again. I’ve gone back to Reef Crystals. I’ve used RC forever and only moved to TM because of all the success I was seeing. I know RC doesn’t mix clear but I know what it does and what to expect. TM is selling a big expectation and in my mind they have a long way to go.
I used TM for years before hitting issues and seeing all the other people reporting problems too. Mine was with German made salt. I was also really disappointed with the response from TM and lost faith in the quality control claims they made throughout. I switched to Red Sea BB after being loyal for so many years. I’ve seen a turnaround in corals over a period of 10 or so 10% water changes. Between the trust and the price they charge, I can’t justify going back.
 
I didn’t report it to them.

You should have. Route a message via their portal or reach out to Lou here. He has left his direct line in one of the other threads. I understand time is money (relatively speaking - we are all busy) but if you noticed something the information on your bucket could be of importance. Also Tropic Marin may refund you. Who knows.

Bucket information, place of purchase, dates, all important. I don't know how their product is made but if they use the conveyer belts for other things could be as simple as cross contamination and bucket information can help isolate that. Who knows.
 
I used TM for years before hitting issues and seeing all the other people reporting problems too. Mine was with German made salt. I was also really disappointed with the response from TM and lost faith in the quality control claims they made throughout. I switched to Red Sea BB after being loyal for so many years. I’ve seen a turnaround in corals over a period of 10 or so 10% water changes. Between the trust and the price they charge, I can’t justify going back.
Exactly!
 
You should have. Route a message via their portal or reach out to Lou here. He has left his direct line in one of the other threads. I understand time is money (relatively speaking - we are all busy) but if you noticed something the information on your bucket could be of importance. Also Tropic Marin may refund you. Who knows.

Bucket information, place of purchase, dates, all important. I don't know how their product is made but if they use the conveyer belts for other things could be as simple as cross contamination and bucket information can help isolate that. Who knows.
Come on now - not like they don’t have access to R2R, IG, etc. if I can find this thread so can they. Most companies mine Social Media for data - they just need to do a better job of it.
 
Come on now - not like they don’t have access to R2R, IG, etc. if I can find this thread so can they. Most companies mine Social Media for data - they just need to do a better job of it.

I don't know what they do. I simply said you should have - as a suggestion. You didn't so no big deal.
 
This was from the first bucket I bought but the seal was messed up so I went to my lfs to get a replacement because I thought it might have been tampered with because it also said from Germany but this second bucket was for sure sealed and actually seemed like it mixed worse so it’s for sure a problem with TM.

34FC55F6-2D42-4E36-8C94-E9FF116D62A1.jpeg
That could of been a pic of my bucket(same bucket, mixer and heater). I am first time reefer and was mixing my first batch of salt. I had called BRS and asked if the salt was good from Tropic Marine Pro. They assured me that the German mix was good and I would be sent one. Well it mixed like this bucket above, and since I am new I wasn't sure if this was considered clean... Glad I didn't use it. Not a good way to start my first tank.
 
That could have been a pic of my bucket(same bucket, mixer and heater). I am first time reefer and was mixing my first batch of salt. I had called BRS and asked if the salt was good from Tropic Marine Pro. They assured me that the German mix was good and I would be sent one. Well it mixed like this bucket above, and since I am new I wasn't sure if this was considered clean... Glad I didn't use it. Not a good way to start my first tank.
Good researching. To this day I don’t believe they acknowledge anything wrong with any of their salt.
 
That could of been a pic of my bucket(same bucket, mixer and heater). I am first time reefer and was mixing my first batch of salt. I had called BRS and asked if the salt was good from Tropic Marine Pro. They assured me that the German mix was good and I would be sent one. Well it mixed like this bucket above, and since I am new I wasn't sure if this was considered clean... Glad I didn't use it. Not a good way to start my first tank.
IMHO it's not a big deal. It 95% will not cause any problem in your tank.
 
I’ve been using HW Marine Mix ReeFer it mixes up nice keeps my levels good. But I decided to change and try something different I went with Aquaforest Hybrid salt mix comes in a few days hopefully I see a difference in a few months.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top