Trouble mixing correct amount of Reef Salt, help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2009
Messages
1,273
Reaction score
941
Location
Albany, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I'm having trouble mixing the reef salt. I somehow always end up with way too high of salinity going with the directions.

8.4 lbs for 27 gallons. This means 0.31 lbs per gallon right?

I have a bucket with 4 gallons of water in it. So I would dose 1.24 lbs to get 35ppt?

So I took out a weight scale that I use for my coffee, and weighed 1 lb out just to start. My salinity was close to 50ppt.

What is going on? Is my math totally off?
 
I use coral pro reef salt. For 10 gallons it usually takes four cups. This measurement gets me really close to 1.026. You will always have to add a little salt or ro/di to make your numbers perfect. Hope this helped.
 
I use coral pro reef salt. For 10 gallons it usually takes four cups. This measurement gets me really close to 1.026. You will always have to add a little salt or ro/di to make your numbers perfect. Hope this helped.

When you say "4 cups" do you mean the actual measurement unit of a cup, or the little thing AquaForest includes with the bucket (or is that an actual cup)?
 
Hey All,

I'm having trouble mixing the reef salt. I somehow always end up with way too high of salinity going with the directions.

8.4 lbs for 27 gallons. This means 0.31 lbs per gallon right?

I have a bucket with 4 gallons of water in it. So I would dose 1.24 lbs to get 35ppt?

So I took out a weight scale that I use for my coffee, and weighed 1 lb out just to start. My salinity was close to 50ppt.

What is going on? Is my math totally off?
Don't make it so complicated. Rather than follow directions, add salt to bring your salinity to the desired level and keep track of how much you add. If you use the same bucket to mix it, then you will know how much to add every time after.
 
Don't make it so complicated. Rather than follow directions, add salt to bring your salinity to the desired level and keep track of how much you add. If you use the same bucket to mix it, then you will know how much to add every time after.

Thanks. I don't want to make this complicated. I just did some math, which turns out to be wrong. You're missing the crucial piece, what to start with when adding salt. I could add a little at a time and keep waiting for the salt to mix to test, but again, why not make it simpler and ask people what they've started with and go with that as a baseline?

For most salts I've used, 2-1/2 cups per 5 gallons of water will yield 35ppt or 1.025 SG. I use a large glass measuring cup. I try to be precise since it saves money on refractometer fluid.

Right, most salts. But is that what you used with AquaForest Reef Salt?

I use .28 per gallon to get 1.25 with Red Sea. Maybe test your refractometer against some RODI and see if you get 0. If its correct then start adding just .20 per and build it up.

Red Sea salt? I'm talking about AquaForest Reef Salt. Thank you though! I've used Red Sea in the past, Seachem, IO, etc. and they've all needed different amounts for the same salinity. 1.25 specific gravity? I'm guessing you mean 1.025.

Again, need some help from AquaForest Reef Salt users specifically. What would you use for 1 gallon of water?
 
Don't make it so complicated. Rather than follow directions, add salt to bring your salinity to the desired level and keep track of how much you add. If you use the same bucket to mix it, then you will know how much to add every time after.

Thanks. I don't want to make this complicated. I just did some math, which turns out to be wrong. You're missing the crucial piece, what to start with when adding salt. I could add a little at a time and keep waiting for the salt to mix to test, but again, why not make it simpler and ask people what they've started with and go with that as a baseline?

For most salts I've used, 2-1/2 cups per 5 gallons of water will yield 35ppt or 1.025 SG. I use a large glass measuring cup. I try to be precise since it saves money on refractometer fluid.

Right, most salts. But is that what you used with AquaForest Reef Salt?

I use .28 per gallon to get 1.25 with Red Sea. Maybe test your refractometer against some RODI and see if you get 0. If its correct then start adding just .20 per and build it up.

Red Sea salt? I'm talking about AquaForest Reef Salt. Thank you though! I've used Red Sea in the past, Seachem, IO, etc. and they've all needed different amounts for the same salinity. 1.25 specific gravity? I'm guessing you mean 1.025.

Again, need some help from AquaForest Reef Salt users specifically. What would you use for 1 gallon of water?
 
If I may suggest. Measure your salt in grams. I use an inexpensive digital kitchen scale

For RSCP it's listed right on the mixing instructions. I belive it was 728 grams to five gallons of water (it's been years though)

For instant ocean , with trial and error and few friends here on R2r I found it was 800 grams to five gallons of water. (18.9 liters) also the first rib mark on a homer bucket btw.

Now I just measure in grams and it comes out perfectly every single time.
 
Last edited:
I would try 2-1/2 cups and see where your at. You either add more salt or add more ro. Most salts meaning it's pretty close no matter the brand.

Thanks. I'll try that. I've had different results with the salts I've used. I'm just hoping for someone who has been using AquaForest Reef Salt specifically for their experience with it. I don't think I'm wrong to assume someone on the AquaForest subforum would have this information.

If I may suggest. Measure your salt in grams. I use an inexpensive digital kitchen scale

For RSCP it's listed right on the mixing instructions. I belive it was 728 grams to five gallons of water (it's been years though)

For instant ocean , with trial and error and few friends here on R2r I found it was 800 grams to five gallons of water. (3.7 liters) also the first rib mark on a homer bucket btw.

Now I just measure in grams and it comes out perfectly every single time.

I have a digital scale. I guess I'll just convert lbs to grams.

You guys are extremely helpful. thank you. I'm now hoping someone who has actually used AquaForest Reef Salt would be able to chime in. There must be SOMEONE who uses this right? or am I a very small minority.
 
Thanks. I'll try that. I've had different results with the salts I've used. I'm just hoping for someone who has been using AquaForest Reef Salt specifically for their experience with it. I don't think I'm wrong to assume someone on the AquaForest subforum would have this information.



I have a digital scale. I guess I'll just convert lbs to grams.

You guys are extremely helpful. thank you. I'm now hoping someone who has actually used AquaForest Reef Salt would be able to chime in. There must be SOMEONE who uses this right? or am I a very small minority.
It's a basic mixing formula listed on the package. I'm not sure how an experienced user could assist you further. By weight mixing is the most accurate method. scientists use cups that I'm aware of. Lol.

I mix my tropic Marine dosing powders into solution this way and also kalk powder plus the two salt mixes I mentioned.

Honestly I'd count yourself lucky, no such info I could find on weight for instant ocean. Clearly they only really sell to Americans. ;)
 
Yup, that's what I used, and I got 50ppt with multiple tries. Which basically means it's either wrong or I'm way off in my calculations. Which is why I posted my numbers above for verification.
Re test also verify you fluid amounts. Also try it in grams.
 
142.8 g salt to 3.8 liters of water

So 142.8 per gal.

.31 lb to one gal

5 oz to one gram I belive is how it works out.

That's what I use the metric system. Lol.
 
142.8 g salt to 3.8 liters of water

So 142.8 per gal.

.31 lb to one gal

5 oz to one gram I belive is how it works out.

That's what I use the metric system. Lol.

Yup, so that's exactly what I said in my first post. Just getting a consistent 50ppt. I want to see what other AquaForest Reef Salt users have experienced.
 
for 15 liters which is 4 gallons one and a half of the small box which is includes with the bucket . Salinity-34 ppt-1.024@25°C 92aa9fcea9e1fa024c1e0ca7931289e3.jpg
 
for 15 liters which is 4 gallons one and a half of the small box which is includes with the bucket . Salinity-34 ppt-1.024@25°C 92aa9fcea9e1fa024c1e0ca7931289e3.jpg

OK, so that's how much salt to use per 5 liter or 10 liter of water! I'm going to do it. Thank you.
 
AquaForest say 39.5 grams per liter which is 592.5 grams (21 oz) for 15 liters (4 gallons) temperature 25 ° C (77F). Check the temperature it's important
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top