Trying to decide on which skimmer to buy.

lightningreef2690

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 25, 2016
Messages
35
Reaction score
21
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a 90 gallon display that is fairly heavily stocked and well fed. Im currently running a 30 gallon refugium for my primary nutrient export, but i also have a HOB skimmer just for peace of mind. As of now nitrates are around 0.25 ans phosphates are around 0.01

I am working on resealing my old 75 gallon tank to replace the 30 gallon sump increasing water volume and space for a large skimmer, eventually a calcium reactor and room for a large refugium. I'm assuming the water volume in the 75 will be roughly 50 55 gallons which will take my total water volume to 140 gallons +- a few gallons.

So now for the hard part. Deciding on which skimmer to go with. I have done a lot of research and I am set on either purchasing the Nyos Quantum 160, or the Deltec SCA 1455h. Im looking for people who have tried these skimmers or have seen them in action. Im going to be dropping $500 or so on a skimmer so i don't want to end up regretting my decision.

I appreciate any opinions or help on this issue.

John
 
I have never used either, but the features on the Deltec skimmers look pretty cool. There was a thread on the forum about them a couple weeks ago.
 
I recently switched from a Reef Octopus to a NYOS and absolutely love it. Comes apart easily for cleaning (which was important to me), is close to silent, and skims well without needing to make constant adjustments. On top of that, it looks like it should be on display sitting on a shelf :-)
 
I also like my bubble magnus
 
So i have a 90 gallon display that is fairly heavily stocked and well fed. Im currently running a 30 gallon refugium for my primary nutrient export, but i also have a HOB skimmer just for peace of mind. As of now nitrates are around 0.25 ans phosphates are around 0.01

I am working on resealing my old 75 gallon tank to replace the 30 gallon sump increasing water volume and space for a large skimmer, eventually a calcium reactor and room for a large refugium. I'm assuming the water volume in the 75 will be roughly 50 55 gallons which will take my total water volume to 140 gallons +- a few gallons.

So now for the hard part. Deciding on which skimmer to go with. I have done a lot of research and I am set on either purchasing the Nyos Quantum 160, or the Deltec SCA 1455h. Im looking for people who have tried these skimmers or have seen them in action. Im going to be dropping $500 or so on a skimmer so i don't want to end up regretting my decision.

I appreciate any opinions or help on this issue.

John

I would hesitate putting the 1455 on that size tank. From what I've read, oversized Deltecs aren't necessary and are appropriately rated. I bought the 1455 AC version (suggested by Adam from Battlecorals because the DC uses a cheaper Jebao pump) for my 180 w/40 gallon sump. I haven't got it up and running yet though.

Is the H the head cleaner top? For what it's worth, Adam also said it wasn't worth the extra cost. I don't know, just relaying what a very knowledgeable Deltec user/seller told me.

From what I've read, the performance is top notch, but I can tell you the build quality is flimsy, thin plastic. Mine came busted apart and they just sent me a whole new skimmer, which was awesome. So I have both lids to try out when I get this tank running.
 
I would hesitate putting the 1455 on that size tank. From what I've read, oversized Deltecs aren't necessary and are appropriately rated. I bought the 1455 AC version (suggested by Adam from Battlecorals because the DC uses a cheaper Jebao pump) for my 180 w/40 gallon sump. I haven't got it up and running yet though.

Is the H the head cleaner top? For what it's worth, Adam also said it wasn't worth the extra cost. I don't know, just relaying what a very knowledgeable Deltec user/seller told me.

From what I've read, the performance is top notch, but I can tell you the build quality is flimsy, thin plastic. Mine came busted apart and they just sent me a whole new skimmer, which was awesome. So I have both lids to try out when I get this tank running.
I actually spoke to Adam and he was the one who recommended the 1455 for my system. And the automatic cleaner is only $40 more on sale on marine depot right now. And if im spending $400 + an extra $40 to not have to clean it by hand is definitely worth it to me. I talked to Adam about my concern that it may be too much skimmer, but he assured me that he is running a similar size system with that skimmer and he loves it. I know deltecs reputation and that's why they are on the short list.
 
Anyone have any experience with the NYOS Quantum line?
 
I went from a reef octopus 202 to the Nyos Quantum 160 and its a night and day difference. If you follow the out of the box setup on it it’s pretty much hand off outside of cleaning the skimmer cup out. It doesn’t go crazy after adding any supplements or feeding or water changes like the 202 did. And it’s visually a good looking skimmer.
 
I'd go with Reef octopus, at $500 you could prob snag a regal series that's DC.
 
After speaking to a few well know shop owners and some successful aquaculturists i decided to go with the NYOS. I wasnt able to find anything bad about it and everyone who i spoke to that has one said its the best skimmer they have had.

Ill update the post when i get the skimmer up and running!
 
image.jpg
This is less then 24 hours of skimmate. I’m pretty sure your gonna really like it.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top