Tunze 9001 break in troubles (low/no foam)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Piker
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Piker

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 10, 2018
Messages
164
Reaction score
68
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So my 9001 is one day old. I put it in my tank yesterday, after a 3 hour R/O soak, and it was skimming like a champ instantly. Today, a bit frustrated with micro bubbles, I took it out to make sure all of it's parts were attached and tight.

I put it back in my tank, and it will hardly produce foam. I've taken it out and inspected it twice, it seems to be clean. From then on though, regardless of the water level I set it too though, there seams to be no foam.

I do see bubbles below the cup, but they don't even make it up into the tube currently. I've tried raising and lowering the skimmer, but unless I go below the cup (which will cause the cup to float away if I don't put pressure on it), the foam does not come to the top.

After feeding this afternoon, I let it sit and went back 4 hours later, and there was about 1/8 a cup skimmate in there.

Is this normal for this skimmer? Any tips? This is in the back section of a jbj 24 gallon nano.
 
Took it apart again, cleaned with vinegar and put in the micro bubble blocking sponge that was included. The vinegar must have cleared something up because I have foam coming half way up the neck again. I'm going to leave it be and keep my fingers crossed that it stays happy.
 
Hey all,

So my 9001 is one day old. I put it in my tank yesterday, after a 3 hour R/O soak, and it was skimming like a champ instantly. Today, a bit frustrated with micro bubbles, I took it out to make sure all of it's parts were attached and tight.

I put it back in my tank, and it will hardly produce foam. I've taken it out and inspected it twice, it seems to be clean. From then on though, regardless of the water level I set it too though, there seams to be no foam.

I do see bubbles below the cup, but they don't even make it up into the tube currently. I've tried raising and lowering the skimmer, but unless I go below the cup (which will cause the cup to float away if I don't put pressure on it), the foam does not come to the top.

After feeding this afternoon, I let it sit and went back 4 hours later, and there was about 1/8 a cup skimmate in there.

Is this normal for this skimmer? Any tips? This is in the back section of a jbj 24 gallon nano.
I'm having same issue or very similar as I just got the 9001 late last week. Got so frustrated with it yesterday I turned it off and it's still off. Fiddled with air intake many times finally got it to stop filling up with water when turning air intake just about all the way off.

IDK just don't feel it's worth $117 I paid for it it's very tiny (I have a RSM 130D, 34 gal.) sits very low in water and the magnet isn't that great (attaching skimmer to the new intank media basket I also just got). I've been told "break in takes up to a week" but IDK if going a whole week without a working/running a skimmer is a great idea? Issue is I can't put the stock skimmer back in unless I take out the media basket which I really like and want to keep. Does anyone know if the Tunze 9002 fits in a RSM 130D with an intank media basket installed?
Thanks all!
 
I'm having same issue or very similar as I just got the 9001 late last week. Got so frustrated with it yesterday I turned it off and it's still off. Fiddled with air intake many times finally got it to stop filling up with water when turning air intake just about all the way off.

IDK just don't feel it's worth $117 I paid for it it's very tiny (I have a RSM 130D, 34 gal.) sits very low in water and the magnet isn't that great (attaching skimmer to the new intank media basket I also just got). I've been told "break in takes up to a week" but IDK if going a whole week without a working/running a skimmer is a great idea? Issue is I can't put the stock skimmer back in unless I take out the media basket which I really like and want to keep. Does anyone know if the Tunze 9002 fits in a RSM 130D with an intank media basket installed?
Thanks all!

Hey, I don't know if you still are using this but it's 2 years later and I'm still using that skimmer, though not in my nano. I'll tell you number one, don't mess with the air tube, keep it open. 2, let it burn in that week or two. It'll also overskim if you dose anything, so if you use meds for cyano or something wait till you've done a few water changes before turning it back on. 3, raise it higher than recommended or you'll be changing it 2-3 times a day. 4 the skim is always going to be super wet.

Mine is about an inch higher than the water line currently.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top