Tunze 9001 skimmer keeps sliding down (magnet upgrade)

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 22, 2020
Messages
1,561
Reaction score
1,051
Location
Lincolnton
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Tunze 9001 skimmer that I'm trying to work with. Its broken in to the point I don't have TONS of micro bubbles but I'm still trying to perfect the flow. Well since I'm still working on it it fills up fast, in minutes. When it fills up it starts to sink and then fills up even quicker. Ive read some other threads where people upgraded to bigger magnets to fix this. It claims to work with glass up to 1/4" thick which I definitely have thinner glass. Maybe its because both sides are in water? Either way what are some reef safe magnets I can buy to upgrade them?
 
I have a Tunze in-tank skimmer and I think it uses the same magnets as yours. Mine is on 3/8" glass and holds very well.

Curious why yours doesn't hold.
 
I have a Tunze in-tank skimmer and I think it uses the same magnets as yours. Mine is on 3/8" glass and holds very well.

Curious why yours doesn't hold.
Could it be that both magnets are submerged in water? It's on a baffle in my sump so there's water on both sides of the glass. It is in a corner so low-flow so I don't think it's that.
 
Could it be that both magnets are submerged in water? It's on a baffle in my sump so there's water on both sides of the glass. It is in a corner so low-flow so I don't think it's that.

That could be the reason, especially if one or both sides of the wet glass are slippery with algae film.
 
That could be the reason, especially if one or both sides of the wet glass are slippery with algae film.
The saltwater guy at my LFS said the easiest fix will be to just create a little stand out of some egg crate...
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top