Two New Firefish in a 10 g Nano tank

bigR2

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 7, 2017
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased two Firefish from my local shop. I am unsure if they are a mated pair - from what I have noticed thus far (they have been in the tank for about a day or so) they are very shy, which I expected, and have been slightly aggressive toward one another. However, the back of my tank is an open area and a good ¨bolt-spot¨, and the two have been hovering there.

I am under the impression that Firefish are relatively docile but are very good at killing one another. Do I just cross my fingers and pray they become buddies? Is this aggravated behavior normal for new fish?

This is my first marine tank and I am curious about what other Firefish keepers feed their Firefish as well.

Thank you.
 
Last edited:
p.s.

My tank currently holds:
  • 6 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs
  • 5 Margarita Snails
  • 2 Firefish
  • A green mushroom
  • A Duncan frag
 
IMO, 10 gallons is too small for two firefish that aren't a pair. Unless they are actually a m/f pair, the aggression will only get worse as the fish get settled. In which case, you're likely going to have to remove one or you risk losing the weaker of the two.

As for feeding, firefish aren't picky eaters, so a mix of frozen & dry (micro pellets & flake) should be good. Even for reliable eaters, I like to have several different kinds of foods that I rotate feeding.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top