Two of my fish died

Fish don't just give up the will to live because they saw another one. I would just wait a few weeks and s
Fish don't just give up the will to live because they saw another one. I would just wait a few weeks and see.
That’s all I can really do at the moment, it doesn’t make a lot of sense why they died
 
Fish don't just give up the will to live because they saw another one. I would just wait a few weeks and see.
Another fish died I’ve checked my water and nothing is off, checked for ammonia and none present. What should I look for ? I did a 25% water change, put in a bag of purit ‍♀️
 
Another fish died I’ve checked my water and nothing is off, checked for ammonia and none present. What should I look for ? I did a 25% water change, put in a bag of purit ‍♀️

Do you have corals and inverts? If corals and inverts are healthy then it’s probably a fish disease. If the only signs are swimming near top or heavy breathing then could be velvet in the gills. It can kill fast.
 
How were fish acclimated and for how long?
What did other fish look like at place of purchase?
What is current Ammonia-ph-nitrate and salintiy and what test kits are you using ?
Surviving fish- How os their breathing rate and are they yet eating ?
 
Sometimes new fish bring in disease of course but other times, it's already in your tank but your existing fish develop some immunity and act normal. The stress of new fish entering their home can cause their immune level to drop and now they are susceptible to disease in the tank.

Run carbon and a UV if you have one.
 
Do you have corals and inverts? If corals and inverts are healthy then it’s probably a fish disease. If the only signs are swimming near top or heavy breathing then could be velvet in the gills. It can kill fast.
The fish are acting fine no signs of distress, corals are fine too.
Hopefully the rest will be fine and it was only affecting the 3 that died
 
The fish are acting fine no signs of distress, corals are fine too.
Hopefully the rest will be fine and it was only affecting the 3 that died

Was it a newly added fish that died? Which one died?
 
The last one that died was a recent addition but it was quarantined before I added her the two before her I had for awhile

Yes but just observation, right? Observation is just that. It doesn’t mean there isn’t disease.

Being it is a new fish, that could be the one who brought something in.

three fish dying in a short span starts to become more than a coincidence.
 
Sometimes it's not ever apparent why fish die. Especially when changing conditions like adding new fish. I've lost established fish within a week or so of new fish add. Never any follow on symptoms in other fish, no apparent damage. Personally I feel fish are much more susceptible to stress than we think.

You're doing the right things. Wait and monitor your tank and fish. Check for obvious signs of disease, parasite or unusual behavior. If find something then take action. If not after a couple weeks. Try another fish.

Don't beat yourself up its happened to all of us. I went through three Bangaii cardinals before one lasted more than a month. And it's been good for a year now, fat and happy.

Good luck!
 
Sometimes it's not ever apparent why fish die. Especially when changing conditions like adding new fish. I've lost established fish within a week or so of new fish add. Never any follow on symptoms in other fish, no apparent damage. Personally I feel fish are much more susceptible to stress than we think.

You're doing the right things. Wait and monitor your tank and fish. Check for obvious signs of disease, parasite or unusual behavior. If find something then take action. If not after a couple weeks. Try another fish.

Don't beat yourself up its happened to all of us. I went through three Bangaii cardinals before one lasted more than a month. And it's been good for a year now, fat and happy.

Good luck!
Foxface looks like he has tiny white spots on him, almost like tiny water bubbles depending on the light, snails also have white chalk like spots in them. Is there anything safe I can treat the entire tank with as a precaution?
81416564-6244-4AD2-8A76-7CC42FA212F9.jpeg
890CC90E-05F3-459D-B742-977416CE88AD.jpeg
 
Depends on what you want to treat for. You can also soak food in medication to feed fish directly.
 
Depends on what you want to treat for. You can also soak food in medication to feed fish directly.
I don’t know, the foxface has tiny white spots all over, no one else has spots visible except snails have white spots on their shells. I just cleaned and restarted cycling my quarantine tank and it’ll be several days before it’s safe to use again.
I read about polyblab medic treating a few diseases and safe for reefs. I’ve lost 3 fish in the past few days and don’t won’t to lose anymore
 
I don’t know, the foxface has tiny white spots all over, no one else has spots visible except snails have white spots on their shells. I just cleaned and restarted cycling my quarantine tank and it’ll be several days before it’s safe to use again.
I read about polyblab medic treating a few diseases and safe for reefs. I’ve lost 3 fish in the past few days and don’t won’t to lose anymore
Well hopefully some of the experts like Jay or Vetteguy will respond here. Setting up QT tank is good. You can always try a freshwater dip for temporary relief for certain ailments. Obviously white spots could be a sign of ich disease not sure if snails would show that. Did the other fish have spots before they passed? If fish die quickly it could be velvet in the tank too. Just depends on what symptoms you see.
 
Well hopefully some of the experts like Jay or Vetteguy will respond here. Setting up QT tank is good. You can always try a freshwater dip for temporary relief for certain ailments. Obviously white spots could be a sign of ich disease not sure if snails would show that. Did the other fish have spots before they passed? If fish die quickly it could be velvet in the tank too. Just depends on what symptoms you see.
No that’s the thing the others had no white on them and the foxface is the only one with what appears to be white spots.
If the fish are still alive in a week or when the quarantine tank is safe for fish should I move them all and treat and if I do what do I do with my main tank ? I have too many coral and inverts to move everything would a huge water change help ? I also wonder if the rest survive another week should I still move any into quarantine ‍♀️
 
No that’s the thing the others had no white on them and the foxface is the only one with what appears to be white spots.
If the fish are still alive in a week or when the quarantine tank is safe for fish should I move them all and treat and if I do what do I do with my main tank ? I have too many coral and inverts to move everything would a huge water change help ? I also wonder if the rest survive another week should I still move any into quarantine ‍♀️
I think it depends on what your assumed diagnosis is for your tank. If you suspect brook or velvet removing and treating the fish while the tank is fallow is best. Ich can be managed more on a fish by fish basis because even if ich is in your tank it doesn't mean all fish will get it.

Do you have a UV light?

Check with Jay or Vetteguy they are much more knowledgeable then me.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top