Ugrading 20 gallon to 29 gallon

  • Thread starter Thread starter tjr1992
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

tjr1992

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 3, 2013
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Louisiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of upgrading my 20 gallon tall to a 29 gallon tall. I currently have some live rock, live sand, small CUC, Clove Polyps, HOB filters (one with a diy skimmer), and a Green Spotted Puffer in the 20 gallon. I would buy a larger HOB filter, but run the older ones until it is seeded and growing bacteria. I've had my Puffer for about 2 1/2-3 years or so, we've been through a lot together (haha) so I'm trying to give him the best and healthiest life possible. Before you jump on me about the DIY skimmer, it's pulling out a nice dark green skimmate. The lighting on it right now is only a 15 watt LED light and the Clove Polyps seem to be doing fine. If I do upgrade soon, I will be upgrading the lighting with a kit from RapidLED. The reason I am posting is because I don't want to stress my GSP out too bad with upgrading tanks. I have 3 good sized pieces of LR made into a cave type scape. I'm trying to get away with not having to cycle the new tank. I plan on transferring the LR and most of the water from the 20 to the 29 gallon. I wouldn't use the sand, I would just start with new sand (actually crushed aragonite). I would also use all of the same equipment in my tank. I would add some Reef Saver rock from BRS and probably another Hydor Koralia nano. So do you think if I moved the LR, equipment, and majority of the water I could get away with having a big cycle? It would still be the same bioload as before, just a bigger tank. Also, the Reef Saver rock is free of dead matter, so that wouldn't cause a cycle. Please give me any input you may have and also any advice. It will be MUCH appreciated.
 
I don't think you would have much of a cycle. I would just have some extra saltwater on hand just in case. It would not hurt to use mostly new water since much of the beneficial bacteria is not in the water column.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top