Umm, is this some kind of worm>?

Lord_Mort

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 27, 2021
Messages
108
Reaction score
95
Location
Hickory Hills
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So, I am currently battling Dinos and decided to record a direct dosing of Hydrogen peroxide. It wasn't until I watched the video that you can see what appears to be some type of worms all over the green stuff.

For what it's worth, the pumps were OFF during the majority of the video. (you can see the shimmering around the 7 minute mark when I turn the pumps back on)

Any ideas what these things could be?
 

Attachments

  • 20230103_205814.mp4
    36.2 MB
Hi all,

So, I am currently battling Dinos and decided to record a direct dosing of Hydrogen peroxide. It wasn't until I watched the video that you can see what appears to be some type of worms all over the green stuff.

For what it's worth, the pumps were OFF during the majority of the video. (you can see the shimmering around the 7 minute mark when I turn the pumps back on)

Any ideas what these things could be?
Probably detritus worms. Do they have white heads?
 
Last edited:
They look solid white to me.

I've never heard of detritus worms but I have been out of the hobby for a while.

Additionally, this tank has been fishless for nearly a year. (I do have a CUC though) But I did add a sailfin molly about a week ago. Does that have any bearing on your hypothesis?

Additionally, I "tried" to look at one of these under the microscope. You can briefly see something resembling a worm after about 20 seconds in this video... I'm not certain if this is the same worm though.

 
Detritus worms are common, especially in tanks without fish. The thrive in nutrient-dense tanks, especially if there are dead spots or build up. While they don’t pose a threat, I’ve had success removing them by increasing water changes, filtration, and reducing feeding. Overtime, they will diminish.
I would recommend looking up videos of them to see if they match; unfortunately the links you have posted are not working for me
 
unfortunately the links you have posted are not working for me
Well that explains why no one is replying to my other threads requesting ID assistance! LOL
Can you tell me exactly what it says? Does it ask for log-in info, does it say URL not found, etc?

Thanks!
 
The links work for me fwiw

Not a worm expert but curious, are you squirting h2o2 into the algae?

Edit: also what show ya watchin :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
 
Makes me think spaghetti worm based on how it/they reacted to being touched with the pipette….they all kinda pulled back to the same spot simultaneously.
 
Well that explains why no one is replying to my other threads requesting ID assistance! LOL
Can you tell me exactly what it says? Does it ask for log-in info, does it say URL not found, etc?

Thanks!
The link takes you back to YouTube studio. Seems like it Needs a different app to play video.
 
If you're on a iphone/ios device, I really urge people to use chrome...safari is.....still under construction
 
Yes! I suspect those are dinos and I am squirting h202 right on the little bastages
Oh, it wasn't for the hair algae? Interesting. I'd imagine it would, as well as the gha. I've dipped hair algae infested frags from the store in h2o2 with great success. I saw it bubbling in your video so it was oxidizing something. Good vid; got to watch someone directly apply h2o2 which I haven't done myself. Thanks. Sorry I can't help with the worm ID
 
Oh, it wasn't for the hair algae? Interesting. I'd imagine it would, as well as the gha. I've dipped hair algae infested frags from the store in h2o2 with great success. I saw it bubbling in your video so it was oxidizing something. Good vid; got to watch someone directly apply h2o2 which I haven't done myself. Thanks. Sorry I can't help with the worm ID
No worries! I'm actually glad you brought this up... I was under the impression that what I am squirting is all dinos. Are you saying that looks like GHA to you?
 
The green? Yeah, I would say that's gha
interesting. When I sample it and look under a microscope there are a ton of small cell amphidinium. I'll have to find out what GHA looks like under a scope. Thanks
 
Makes me think spaghetti worm based on how it/they reacted to being touched with the pipette….they all kinda pulled back to the same spot simultaneously.
I don't think it's spaghetti worms. I looked for their tubes and couldn't find any.
 
Does they look like this.
IMG20230104121542.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top