Understanding Fauna Marin ICP Test Results

  • Thread starter Thread starter ReefOC
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

ReefOC

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 27, 2024
Messages
322
Reaction score
162
Location
California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone gotten their results of an ICP test and wondered what to do about them? How did you make heads or tails of it?
 
Has anyone gotten their results of an ICP test and wondered what to do about them? How did you make heads or tails of it?

If you post the results, we can assist.
 
I just received my results and from the basic test most things are in range and I likely need to do water changes to replenish some trace but i am low in iodine and likely need to by some . My Calcium was lower than anticipated and I need to run it again on Hanna today to make sure that my hanna checker is not off or solution bad/contaminated.
What do you need help understanding? This was my first ICP and it took a bit to be received but given a hurricane in area I was patient. I felt it was nice that Fauna gave suggestions of how/what to add (their brand of course).
 
I just received my results and from the basic test most things are in range and I likely need to do water changes to replenish some trace but i am low in iodine and likely need to by some . My Calcium was lower than anticipated and I need to run it again on Hanna today to make sure that my hanna checker is not off or solution bad/contaminated.
What do you need help understanding? This was my first ICP and it took a bit to be received but given a hurricane in area I was patient. I felt it was nice that Fauna gave suggestions of how/what to add (their brand of course).
I rarely heard of any test that doesn’t show low iodine, doesn’t last long.

It’s actual usefulness in reefs I don’t know, some say leathers, gorgonians and shrimp use it.

I can bring mine to 0.06ppm but then zero or undetectable in 2 days.
 
I rarely heard of any test that doesn’t show low iodine, doesn’t last long.

It’s actual usefulness in reefs I don’t know, some say leathers, gorgonians and shrimp use it.

I can bring mine to 0.06ppm but then zero or undetectable in 2 days.
Well my ICP said it is .011 and ideal range is .055-.080. I need to do some water changes but my coral colors are very light and I am trying to determine why .
 
It does tell you what you can/should do ..
 
Post a photo the team will help you out.

But on the right hand side with will show you what dosage is required and how many days to spread it over or of a water change is recommended.

You can also use a fauna Icp specialist if you want more in depth understanding of how the different elements effect your tank.

Also check out there knowledge base on there website it’s really helpful.

Big fan of there stuff and Icp definitely saved my tank when I had meters off.

Also if your salinity is off it will change everything
 
Post a photo the team will help you out.

But on the right hand side with will show you what dosage is required and how many days to spread it over or of a water change is recommended.

You can also use a fauna Icp specialist if you want more in depth understanding of how the different elements effect your tank.

Also check out there knowledge base on there website it’s really helpful.

Big fan of there stuff and Icp definitely saved my tank when I had meters off.

Also if your salinity is off it will change everything
How long have you been using this ICP ?
I did the basic test and nothing surprising/shocking . My only thing is mine is showing Ca 367 and I test weekly and Hanna is well over 400 so one of them is off.
Their product line does seem pretty good.
 
How long have you been using this ICP ?
I did the basic test and nothing surprising/shocking . My only thing is mine is showing Ca 367 and I test weekly and Hanna is well over 400 so one of them is off.
Their product line does seem pretty good.
The results are downloadable as pdf and you can share with the community here to help on you possible needed corrections.

The Hanna could be within the published margin of error for their kit. We don't know as we haven't seen or been given the exact Hanna test results in the thread.
 
It does tell you what you can/should do ..

But I strongly recommend getting a good second opinion (such as here). Some ICP companies claim the sky is falling when all is fine.
 
But I strongly recommend getting a good second opinion (such as here). Some ICP companies claim the sky is falling when all is fine.
Get a second opinion regarding a ICP? I test with Hanna 1x week and likely will get automated testing in the future. I wanted a "second" look at values and it just appears I will continue to do regular water changes for trace elements and just bolus dose Alk, Cal . Mg as needed. I may add some iodine as I started w/ basic salt and skim moderately but I am on track with values.
Since you replied Randy my Alk/Cal consumption is not too high but I am at odds with whether I will do CaRX +trace, Balling or AFR when usage becomes necessary. What are your thoughts?
 
Get a second opinion regarding a ICP?

Second opinion on what to do with the results. Many companies make what I consider unjustified and wasteful recommendations. They sometimes highlight them with crazy red warning colors and terms like "critically high" when I consider them OK.
 
Second opinion on what to do with the results. Many companies make what I consider unjustified and wasteful recommendations. They sometimes highlight them with crazy red warning colors and terms like "critically high" when I consider them OK.
My personal feedback is that the basic Fauna marin ICP had very constructive reliable recommendations. Ie Do some basic water changes and perhaps adding a small amount of element. I would recommend this ICP and will use the in depth ICP likely in the next month or so .
 
The results are downloadable as pdf and you can share with the community here to help on you possible needed corrections.

The Hanna could be within the published margin of error for their kit. We don't know as we haven't seen or been given the exact Hanna test results in the thread.
I didnt start thread and was using this ICP as a second opinion. IDK what you are asking about as original poster never posted results.
 
I didnt start thread and was using this ICP as a second opinion. IDK what you are asking about as original poster never posted results.
OP @ReefOC posted question then never ever replied to any of our advice or questions.
That happens a lot here, people post questions to this wonderful forum, then its members post many ideas and questions to help the OP get the answer they need, but the OP moved on and never bothers to give the forum any updates or data to help them.
The problem with most open forums, a lot of people want answers to their issues at the moment, then move on without care or respect for the forum members that try to help.
 
OP @ReefOC posted question then never ever replied to any of our advice or questions.
That happens a lot here, people post questions to this wonderful forum, then its members post many ideas and questions to help the OP get the answer they need, but the OP moved on and never bothers to give the forum any updates or data to help them.
The problem with most open forums, a lot of people want answers to their issues at the moment, then move on without care or respect for the forum members that try to help.
My apologies for not responding yet. Here is the ICP result.
Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 3.23.15 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-10-01 at 3.23.30 PM.png
 
My personal feedback is that the basic Fauna marin ICP had very constructive reliable recommendations. Ie Do some basic water changes and perhaps adding a small amount of element. I would recommend this ICP and will use the in depth ICP likely in the next month or so .

To each his own. In my opinion they are frequently flawed.
 
Last edited:
@Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy, if you have time chime in on OP's results. Thank you sir.



Do they give a salinity? It may be a tad low.

All of the major ions look fine to me.

Copper is probably ok but seems in the high side. The op should consider why and make sure it doesn’t rise more.

Barium is fine and generally can be ignored. Contrary to the claim, it has no known need in any organism.

Iron and manganese deplete rapidly and dosing them may or may not be useful. Some others may also benefit from dosing, but with copper and nickel already elevated, I’d be careful about using an overall trace supplement.

The aluminum is not yet seemingly high enough to be a problem, but if you are using white media, I’d remove it.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top