Upgrading from a 125 gallon to a 265 gallon.

Deiby Garcia

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 19, 2018
Messages
22
Reaction score
12
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I got a great deal on a brand new Marineland corner overflows 265 gallon fish tank. Currently have a 125 gallon Marineland with mostly softies. I want to venture into Sps. I'm hoping for a smooth transition with no stress on fish or coral losses. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
20180930_165616.jpeg
20181014_184840.jpeg
 
Get enough containers to hold as much of the old water and live rock as possible. Remove rock and Coral and place into temp storage bins with heaters and flow. Drop the water level and catch fish. Also place in temp holding bins.

Have enough new water for the difference plus extra to account for loss during swapping.

Use new substrate if not going bare bottom.

Plan a whole day for the move just in case you run across problems. I've swapped three tanks this way. Time consuming but simple.
 
Get enough containers to hold as much of the old water and live rock as possible. Remove rock and Coral and place into temp storage bins with heaters and flow. Drop the water level and catch fish. Also place in temp holding bins.

Have enough new water for the difference plus extra to account for loss during swapping.

Use new substrate if not going bare bottom.

Plan a whole day for the move just in case you run across problems. I've swapped three tanks this way. Time consuming but simple.
Thanks. I'm planning to use my substrate plus 80 more pounds. I'm hoping if I clean real good the old one it should be good.
 
You can do a WC a week or so before the change and vacuum the current substrate to release & remove any trapped gasses and detritus.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top