Uronema in display tank, looking for any advise possible.

Jakewareham

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 28, 2018
Messages
18
Reaction score
3
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made the mistake of not using a QT, and now it looks like I've brought disease to my DT, I'm after losing a few fish and my chromis broke out in what looks to be Uronema.(also popeye this morning)
20181029_190340.jpg

So the only option it seem like I have is an entire start over, I dont even know where to start I'm just bummed out.
I have a few questions, what do I do with my clown and invertabrates, I want to tear the tank down and QT them but wont I infect the qt then with this awful disease?:( even though my clown isn't showing any symptoms but from my understanding uronema could hitch a ride to my QT from him?
Also I have to destroy the little maturity my tank had, I bought all live rock, i have to bleach it all, can I just add it back to the tank again? I guess it wont add any biological filtration anymore... I really need these questions answered and any information at all from someone whose been through this or going through it would be greatly appreciated, there isn't many people around here with much knowledge in the hobby and I'm desperate for help.
 
The way I hear it is a complete restart. The clown most likely will carry it and pass it along again. I'm not sure of any meds that works for it.
 
With uronema it is a parasite that has a direct life cycle and cannot be erradicated with a fallow period. So in order to get rid of it in a tank it does require a complete breakdown and sanitizing of everything.

That being said, it typically only impacts chromis. So you may be able to keep other types of fish. If it were me I would reboot the tank.

I wouldn't be concerned about infecting a QT, you can medicate the QT and kill the parasites. QTs are also much easier to sanitize post treatment.

The eye infection you are dealing with is likely a secondary infection from the parasite affliction.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/uronema-marinum.247940/
 
Last edited by a moderator:
With uronema it is a parasite that has a direct life cycle and cannot be erradicated with a fallow period. So in order to get rid of it in a tank it does require a complete breakdown and sanitizing of everything.

That being said, it typically only impacts chromis. So you may be able to keep other types of fish. If it were me I would reboot the tank.

I wouldn't be concerned about infecting a QT, you can medicate the QT and kill the parasites. QTs are also much easier to sanitize post treatment.

The eye infection you are dealing with is likely a secondary infection from the parasite affliction.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/uronema-marinum.247940/
Agree although I’ve traditionally ignored uronema and discontinued keeping Chromis. However, some butterfly can also be affected somewhat frequently. I have never treated for it, but these days it seems to be nastier and go after other traditionally unaffected species. Tough choice for sure, particularly because by the time it’s noticed it is often too late for that fish.
 
Thanks for the help guys, so from the symptoms and pictures would you easily assume its uronema? I don't want to tear the tank down if it could be something else. The chromis is also covered in white specs that could look like ich. Thanks guys! @HotRocks @4FordFamily @norfolkgarden
 
Thanks for the help guys, so from the symptoms and pictures would you easily assume its uronema? I don't want to tear the tank down if it could be something else. The chromis is also covered in white specs that could look like ich. Thanks guys! @HotRocks @4FordFamily @norfolkgarden
Covered in white spots makes me think velvet, not ich. Ich spots aren't generally very numerous. My general rule is if the spots are larger and countable, it's ich. If smaller like grains of salt on the fish and more numerous, velvet.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top