Use 10 ml of water to raise api test accuracy?

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 19, 2019
Messages
2,556
Reaction score
2,082
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was dumb and let myself use up all the alkalinity reagent from my hanna checker before ordering more. I am currently fine tuning my daily dose so I can set up a dosing pump.

All I have is an api alk test which is accurate to intervals of 1.
1 drop = 1 alk
2 = 2 alk so on and so forth
The test is accurate from what I can tell. My alkalinity is 7.9 and the api changed to the finish color at 8 drops. Can I raise the resolution to .5 intervals by using 10ml of water instead of 1
 
I will be using the api test until I get my hanna reagent just so I can see if alk has made any big drops or raised too high
 
If you already know about what your alk is, just start with 5 or more drops before you start adding one at a time like the test says. From using this test often it seems to me the issue arises from constantly taking the cap on and off to add a new drop of liquid, but it does test fairly consistently in my experience. My tip would be to get a syringe in order to add the exact same amount of water to the tube every time.
 
Does anyone know what the volume of a drop is using the api test kit? I was thinking i could fill a 1ml syringe with the titrant and get more accuracy that way. I just dont know what the volume of a drop is. I did a google search and it kinda said 0.05 ml per drop.
 
Does anyone know what the volume of a drop is using the api test kit? I was thinking i could fill a 1ml syringe with the titrant and get more accuracy that way. I just dont know what the volume of a drop is. I did a google search and it kinda said 0.05 ml per drop.

Drop sizes depend on the physical dimensions and material nature of the tip (and the fluid used). So any drop size info not specific to the dropper in question is of marginal benefit.
 
Drop sizes depend on the physical dimensions and material nature of the tip (and the fluid used). So any drop size info not specific to the dropper in question is of marginal benefit.
I can probably drip out ten drops and suck it up with a syringe. Hopefully I get all the juice lol.
 
I can probably drip out ten drops and suck it up with a syringe. Hopefully I get all the juice lol.
IF you have a mg scale, you can weigh it.
 
You can have my api

301DFF24-BEFD-47A1-91CA-878421BB9325.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top