Used 57 Gallon rimless SPS tank build

  • Thread starter Thread starter MDeVito
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

MDeVito

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 8, 2016
Messages
235
Reaction score
104
Location
Boston, MA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
Recently just purchased a 57 gallon Deep Blue Rimless tank with built in overflow and custom 15 gallon sump. Got it for a steal, very excited to make an SPS dominated reef tank. Need some suggestions on a few different things. First would be cleaning the tank of some minor algae still stuck to the over flow, suggestions for removing? Second would be the return pump, need some suggestions on types and size recommendations. Next is I was thinking of designing a minimal rock work look with two islands or something along those lines, looking to save some money for I figured I would order around 45-50 pounds of pukani dry rock. Any experience with that? Any other suggestions? It's going to be a slow build and I will update through out the build. Thinking of a kessil 360 for lighting, I love my other kessils. Please feel free to input some information and tips. Pictures to come.
Thanks for reading
 
Vinegar to clean.
Return pump capable of 4-5X turnover at the DT (take into account headloss). Could go up to 10X but I find 5X works plus good flow internally.
 
Would a single kessil a360we work for the time being on a 36x18x20? Any other cheaper lighting ideas that could cover SPS and clam growth?? Need some help on this slow build.
 
Vinegar for cleaning calcium away. I like the DCT pumps, I run a DC3000 on my manifold and a DCT4000 as my return pump. Good prices and controllable.
Pukani is good rock, light and porous. Be sure to cure before using. I don't know about a single 360 for the tank, maybe some of the Kessil experts can tell you.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top