Used Tank Advise, Large Overflow Box? How to Plumb?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deonne
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Deonne

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 5, 2018
Messages
119
Reaction score
41
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at buying this 120 gallon used tank. I'm new to salt-water tanks but it seems to me that the overflow box is quite large? Is 4 drilled holes overkill? How would one plumb this tank to a sump?

Pictures attached

Thanks!

$_59 (1).JPG


$_59.JPG
 
I'm looking at buying this 120 gallon used tank. I'm new to salt-water tanks but it seems to me that the overflow box is quite large? Is 4 drilled holes overkill? How would one plumb this tank to a sump?

Pictures attached

Thanks!

$_59 (1).JPG


$_59.JPG
Welcome to R2R
tenor.gif
#WelcometoR2R
My guess is that the 4 holes are for the Bean Animal Overflow setup. The three 3/4 inch holes are your primary, secondary, and emergency drain, and then 1" is your return. Otherwise a 1" drain with a 3/4 emergency with dual 3/4 returns.
 
First off -
welcometo_Reef2Reef.gif


That appears to have been a peninsula type set-up, in which case, the overflow looks fine. Are you planning on setting it up that way? That one end would be close to the wall and both of the long panels would be viewing panes, along with the one short side opposite the overflow. These are great tanks for viewing and really wish I had the room to have one myself.

My guess on the way it was plumbed before is that the two outside holes were returns (see the hole in the overflow in the edited pic below). I can't see the opposite side, so just a guess on my part. The larger hole may have been the main drain and the other small hole was maybe an auxiliary / emergency overflow. Just my guess though.

overflow.JPG
 
Welcome to R2R. That is definitely set up for a peninsula display. If you can use it in that manner, go for it. But then I'm a sucker for a peninsula.

My guess is it was set up as a Herbie. The two middle were the drains, with the 1" likely the main drain and the second 3/4" as the backup (or it could have been the other way around). The outer two holes were likely the returns. The hole in the side of the overflow box at the top (circled in red by @Fin) is were where the return lines came through and in to the tank. Although we can't see it, I'm betting there's another one on the opposite side?

That's my guess anyway for what it's worth.
 
Welcome to R2R! Nice looking tank, I see a diamond in the rough!
 
Last edited:
Thanks everyone that is all hugely helpful. Very glad I found this forum.

You're right, this tank would be a great peninsula, although I'm not sure I have the space ... so I'll have to think about it.

Fin that tank you linked is incredible, something to aspire to.
 
You're welcome. Lots of friendly, helpful people here. Whatever tank you decide on, be sure to start a build thread and share your progress in the Member Tank forum.
 
...You're right, this tank would be a great peninsula, although I'm not sure I have the space ... so I'll have to think about it.

One way to think about a peninsula tank is to use it as a room divider. It's how I did mine...it separates my dining and living areas. So keep that in mind as you try to figure out how to make it work. Just some more food for thought.
 
One way to think about a peninsula tank is to use it as a room divider. It's how I did mine...it separates my dining and living areas. So keep that in mind as you try to figure out how to make it work. Just some more food for thought.

thanks!
 
Hey all! Ended up going with a different tank (pics below). Its an 80g (48L*24W*16H) that comes with what looks to be a custom 40g sump and stand (its not red sea), and plumbing. This is my first foray into reefing so maybe this size is a bit better on the cost front for now.

80g tank.JPG
80g tank sump.JPG
 
Very nice...great find.
 
New question on plumbing, what are the two pipes/valves in the middle here (coming from return pipe) for?

IMG_2349 (1).JPG
 
They can be used to feed other items such as a refugium, various reactors, etc. Or simply left closed, all the return flow goes back to the tank.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top