Using an overflow box just for surface skimming on a no filter tank

BudgetR33f

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 25, 2024
Messages
231
Reaction score
121
Location
Cumming
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading this Reef Builders article (https://search.app/A4jzUrzqTaixLDof8) and Jake Adam says he doesn‘t run a filter and only uses the overflow box for surface skimming. He also goes on to say that he puts a small pump inside the box. Is it as simple as just placing a pump in the box, or would i have to do some sort of plumbing? I tried researching it and couldn‘t really find information on it
IMG_2378.jpeg
 
The article explains all there is too it, the pump is to circulate the water in the tank and there is almost no filtration other than a tiny amount of live rock in the black box.

No fish, water changes where he siphoned out detritus, and a brief diatom bloom for this coral only tank. Low lights, didn't say if he fed corals, or not? I skimmed.

Olympic Games Sport GIF by NBC Olympics
This was Jake's tank, he was an above average reefer.
 
The article explains all there is too it, the pump is to circulate the water in the tank and there is almost no filtration other than a tiny amount of live rock in the black box.

No fish, water changes where he siphoned out detritus, and a brief diatom bloom for this coral only tank. Low lights, didn't say if he fed corals, or not? I skimmed.

Olympic Games Sport GIF by NBC Olympics
This was Jake's tank, he was an above average reefer.
Would I have to put the outtake of pump at the other side of the tank or something, or could I just leave the outtake inside the box? I'm fairly new so sorry if this is a stupid question or if it doesn't really make sense
 
Would I have to put the outtake of pump at the other side of the tank or something, or could I just leave the outtake inside the box? I'm fairly new so sorry if this is a stupid question or if it doesn't really make sense
Some of these tanks have a drain hole in the bottom for water to flow into the sump, and they can also have a return hole where the water returns to the tank. The return hole would be the best bet, if there is one.

The use of the tank this way would be challenging for a first tank.

(I hope my replies make sense to you too.) Nothing wrong with asking questions. GL! :cool:
 
Some of these tanks have a drain hole in the bottom for water to flow into the sump, and they can also have a return hole where the water returns to the tank. The return hole would be the best bet, if there is one.

The use of the tank this way would be challenging for a first tank.

(I hope my replies make sense to you too.) Nothing wrong with asking questions. GL! :cool:
Thanks. I already have a 20g and just thought this was an interesting style of tank
 
Pump is inside the box and the tube or whatever goes back into the tank so water pumps from inside the box back to the tank where it falls over the teeth and skims back into the box.

It would be like a 1-2 chamber all in one with no media.

I suppose the point is just so the top of the water doesn’t appear to have debris.

A seachem tidal filter with no media may do the same thing. It claims to surface skim.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top