Using Phosguard in a 32 gallon red sea for GHA

Carbon and phosguard mixed. One container. Google seagel. [emoji106]
That’s pretty cool. Never seen that before. I would just wonder what kind of carbon they use. Also carbon I find exhausts a lot faster than Phosguard. So I would want to keep the 2 separated and buy the ROX.08.
 
The media rack in my RSM 130 had like 4 levels so I can put whatever. I use these bags because they are the only thing fine enough for Rox 0.8. I just left the phosguard in the pouch it came with. If needed I can open it up and divide it.

Boyd Enterprises ABE16720 2-Pack Chemi-Bags with Ties for Aquarium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072VJ7NZJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_FoSZAbHFSATGA
 
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The media rack in my RSM 130 had like 4 levels so I can put whatever. I use these bags because they are the only thing fine enough for Rox 0.8. I just left the phosguard in the pouch it came with. If needed I can open it up and divide it.

Boyd Enterprises ABE16720 2-Pack Chemi-Bags with Ties for Aquarium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072VJ7NZJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_FoSZAbHFSATGA
Those are great bags. Personally, I do not trust the zip tie. Always put a knot in the bag. Last thing you want is fine media particles floating around in your tank. I actually just picked up some this past weekend for the 3 chemical medias I use in my Tetra 10 Whisper filter.
 
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So it had been 5 days, the P04 color test is slightly lower than 0.16ppm. I read that this my be exhausted at this point. Should I leave that bag in or should I put in the other bag I have. I did order a 2L bottle of the bulk stuff.
 
So it had been 5 days, the P04 color test is slightly lower than 0.16ppm. I read that this my be exhausted at this point. Should I leave that bag in or should I put in the other bag I have. I did order a 2L bottle of the bulk stuff.
If you have no Phosguard left and you are waiting on more. Do what Randy said and rinse it really good. See if you can get a little more life out of it. Then when the 2L bottle comes in. Make a new bag of it.
 
If you have no Phosguard left and you are waiting on more. Do what Randy said and rinse it really good. See if you can get a little more life out of it. Then when the 2L bottle comes in. Make a new bag of it.
No, I have another 100ml bag.
 
My question is: Is this bag exhausted already, or will it keep absorbing?
 
Ok, so I put the other 100ml bag in the tank (I left the other one in as well because I am not convinced that it is saturated). I checked the Phosphate today and it was about 0.08.

I haven't really seen and GHA dying but at what point should I expect that? I know that when the concentration of PO4 in the algae is higher than the water, the algae will start releasing it {normal diffusion).

My skimmer is starting to become a bit more active, so I see that as a good sign.

Am I correct here? The levels are dropping slowly because of the high concentration that is contained in the GHA? I ordered a couple of emerald crabs to help with the consumption.
 
At least for phytoplankton, it doesn’t become phosphate limited until it drops below 0.03 ppm, but the value will also depend on what other nutrient and trace element levels are.
 
Have you tried brushing the GHA off the rocks since treating with Phosguard? I found after treating with Phosguard and getting my PO4 down, it came off easily and didn't return.
No, I only have like 5 rock in the tank and a bunch of corals. On the weekend I manually pull clumps off the rocks until I get sick of it.

I hope that when I do water changes I can suck it off the rocks because it will be looser.
 
At least for phytoplankton, it doesn’t become phosphate limited until it drops below 0.03 ppm, but the value will also depend on what other nutrient and trace element levels are.
So I will keep going then. I expect a point where the dying algae keeps the level the same.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top