Utility pump has signs of rusting bolts underneath

calanprc

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 8, 2021
Messages
64
Reaction score
24
Location
Mt. Pleasant
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a utliity pump to pump fresh saltwater into my 130 gallon reef tank and noticed that some of the screws underneath are rusting. I always rise the pump with fresh water after each use. Should I be concerned about getting copper in my reef tank? Is there a high powered utility pump that does not have any parts that can rust?
 
Replace the screws with titanium or stainless screws
 
I use a utliity pump to pump fresh saltwater into my 130 gallon reef tank and noticed that some of the screws underneath are rusting. I always rise the pump with fresh water after each use. Should I be concerned about getting copper in my reef tank? Is there a high powered utility pump that does not have any parts that can rust?
Is this a pump for aquarium use?
They use stainless steel screws if it is. You may or may not know, stainless steel can also rust.
If it's not horrible, imo, leave it. You can always replace them if you want.
Sounds like this pump is only used that once in a while for water change. I wouldn't worry about it.
 
I use a utliity pump to pump fresh saltwater into my 130 gallon reef tank and noticed that some of the screws underneath are rusting. I always rise the pump with fresh water after each use. Should I be concerned about getting copper in my reef tank? Is there a high powered utility pump that does not have any parts that can rust?
Couple thoughts.
First you see rust on some screws and are worried about copper? What's your thought process to come to this conclusion?
This is the utility pump I use.
If you look you might be able to find this pump along with the hose they were selling a couple years ago.

 
Couple thoughts.
First you see rust on some screws and are worried about copper? What's your thought process to come to this conclusion?
This is the utility pump I use.
If you look you might be able to find this pump along with the hose they were selling a couple years ago.

Yes, glad you pointed this out.
Screws won't have copper unless they are brass screws.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top