UV Sterilizer - do you put yours on the apex?

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 3, 2017
Messages
1,872
Reaction score
2,040
Location
Greenfield, WI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a 40W Pentair. It is plumbed on a bypass off of the main return, with the output plumbed back into the tetun line.

Since it won't have any flow when the main return pyump is shut off, such as during feed modes, should I program it with the apex to turn off whenever the main return pump is off?

I know frequent on/off is hard on the bult but I don't want it to overheat either.


Tia,


Cindy
 
I just added a 40W Pentair. It is plumbed on a bypass off of the main return, with the output plumbed back into the tetun line.

Since it won't have any flow when the main return pyump is shut off, such as during feed modes, should I program it with the apex to turn off whenever the main return pump is off?

I know frequent on/off is hard on the bult but I don't want it to overheat either.


Tia,


Cindy
That is not a bad plan actually. The build isn't the delicate part, but the quartz sleeve around the bulb is very fragile. Turning the build off during feed mode will actually help with heat.
 
I do have it on apex, and I have it turn off if tank temp gets high. Just make sure if you have a feed mode that the sterilizer is plumbed not to drain out. It needs to stay full or you get precipitate all along the sheath and it becomes worthless.
 
Yes. I have a second pump that feeds my fuge,frag tank, reactors and my UV. My UV will turn off if the temp is too hot or if that pump turns off so it doesn't cook the inside of the sterilizer. It is also on a timer as well so it only runs at night.
 
Yes, you definitely want the UV off if the flow is off.
 
If UV housing is full of water it's not going to get very hot.
 
Thanks everyone for the responses! If I can get the darn plumbing to stop leaking maybe I can put the bulb in :rolleyes:

Never. Again. I hate hate hate plumbing. This will be worth it though....
 
I have mine plugged into my apex ran off a manifold pump that feeds water to my skimmer, chiller, and uv. The uv and chiller require that same flowrate so are on the same stream, one feeds into the other. If the manifold pump is off, or if the chiller cuts on, than the uv turns off. No flow with light on just sounds like a bad idea. Also, looking at power usage, u can tell if the bulb is burnt out if its on but doesnt display any volts.

754F61D0-0E0C-486F-AB19-27B959914708.png
 
FWIW, I plan to run my DELTEC UV 80W full time off my return COR 20 maintained at 1500 lph (400 gph) with 1” flow sensor for my RSR500 (approx. volume 450-500L). Apex Feed mode shall slow the return flow but not stop it, hence little chance of overheating the UV sterilizer.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top