UV Sterilizers Aqua or Coralife?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RMS18
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
Wow they really lowered the flow for killing protozoa/ich.
Well it makes me think BRS really does only sell quality items I belive... so what could happen if I was to use a 60,80,100gph pump on my aquauv... I called them and they stated that their 225gphmin showed the best results for killing pathogens. I asked why not go lower and she couldn't give me a answer on the pros or cons.
 
I purchased a AquaUV Advantage, along with their mount and a Sicce adjustable pump min of 40gph - max of 110gph. After looking into the Emperor units and how slow they run I decided to try that method. Makes sense the longer the water is exposed to the uv the cleaner the water should be by theory. The UV sterilizer is about 55% oversized for my system. Going to have the sterilizer pull from my fuge and exit back into my fuge as I need a bit more flow in there anyway.
 
Check the price and availability of replacement bulbs for whatever one you want before you buy it. Bulbs last at best 6-8 months and are useless after that.
 
Wonder why the Coralife recommends such a high flow of water through them compared to the higher end brands?
 
Check the price and availability of replacement bulbs for whatever one you want before you buy it. Bulbs last at best 6-8 months and are useless after that.
AquaUV state 14 months, they claim to have the longest bulb life.
 
$40 bucks over 14 months is $2.85 a month.... your bulbs cost you $2.83 a month and you have to change them out more. For .02 more a month I don't have to do as much maintenance and that helps in this hobby lol.
Perhaps but their bulbs are $40! I like the Coralife twist 18 watt. Price is right and bulbs are around $17.
 
$40 bucks over 14 months is $2.85 a month.... your bulbs cost you $2.83 a month and you have to change them out more. For .02 more a month I don't have to do as much maintenance and that helps in this hobby lol.

Actually I was looking at that AquaUV since it was mentioned here and I might just pick one up (15 watt) since my Aquastep crapped out recently. I am impressed with the specs. I very much doubt the 14 month claim but wouldn't be a big deal even if it didn't last what is $40 once a year or so? I was thinking of running it on my RKE controller (I have a few outlets available) and run it 12 hours a day. That should increase the life as well.
 
Actually I was looking at that AquaUV since it was mentioned here and I might just pick one up (15 watt) since my Aquastep crapped out recently. I am impressed with the specs. I very much doubt the 14 month claim but wouldn't be a big deal even if it didn't last what is $40 once a year or so? I was thinking of running it on my RKE controller (I have a few outlets available) and run it 12 hours a day. That should increase the life as well.
Yea I will probably change the bulb every 10-12 months to just be on the safe side.
 
A year again...I ran a turbo twist and it rusted after 6 months of use. There is a mental housing in there that is made of cheap metal. I address this with then and got a full refund but that did not compensate for the thousands of dollars is sps. I didn't know why all the stn until I broke the down the tank and open the uv to clean and store. There uv is useless for a sps tank....and dangerous overall.
 
Update on the new Aqua UV:
System has been running for 24 hours and I can not believe how clear the water has gotten. The manufacturer says it can take a couple of days to clear the water so it could clear up more. My tank has never been this clear. The UV is rated for a little more than double my tank size. Very happy with purchase.
 
I just pick up a emperor aquatics 25w UV from Amazon for 192 dollars shipped.

I think the price was right for me. I have it plumbed of my return so I can adjust the flow I like

I have it running slow to kill the pathogens as advertised.

Also they recommend to run the uv continous. Turning on and off constantly might shorten the life of bulb or the ballast.
 
Did anyone of you guys who is currently using the coralife series uv sterilizers attach the plastic stabilization lamp clip to it when you places it in the glass shield. My instructions failed to mention anything related to it and coralife doesn't pickup the phone. I tried digging up info. In the web about it but found nothing. Thanks.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top