Vaping near a reef tank, safe or not safe?

OREGONIC

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 9, 2017
Messages
785
Reaction score
1,055
Location
PDX
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious how many people vape in same room as their reef tank? Has anyone done so regularly in the past and stopped, if so did anything change? My wife and I both vape in our living room where our reef tank is. I don’t believe it has any negative effects on the tank but I have had issues keeping acros thriving. I believe it to be more related to my experience level in hobby then anything as I am slowly seeing better results from acros.
 
Just curious how many people vape in same room as their reef tank? Has anyone done so regularly in the past and stopped, if so did anything change? My wife and I both vape in our living room where our reef tank is. I don’t believe it has any negative effects on the tank but I have had issues keeping acros thriving. I believe it to be more related to my experience level in hobby then anything as I am slowly seeing better results from acros.
Anytime you introduce something into the air, (vaping, windex, aerosole freshners) it has the potential to access your tank. I know people who won't even allow scented candles to be burned in their home. As to vaping, not sure of the chemical makeup and if it would have any effects on it. @Randy Holmes-Farley may have a better idea.
 
Ingredients are very simple, I make my own so i know what is in 95%+ of the juice. 65% food grade vegetable glycerin, 30% propylene glycol, the remaining 10% is food grade flavoring that bound to propylene glycol, as for nicotine it is 3mg per ml which is bound to vegetable glycerin.
 
I don’t know what effect the nicotine may have, but the others might lead to a bacterial bloom. Those scent producing plugins have.
 
I don’t know what effect the nicotine may have, but the others might lead to a bacterial bloom. Those scent producing plugins have.

What in them would cause bacterial bloom? Does propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin act as a carbon source?

I have no concerns about the nicotine, at 3mg per ml it is only 0.3% and majority of it is consumed in the lungs.
 
I chew tobacco while working on my tank. The fish love the spit! ;)


I definately do NOT spit in the tank, but curious on the answers you get. My wife uses some sort of scented wax in a melting pot across the room to no ill effect.
 
Every ingredient you listed, including flavoring and nicotine can act as a carbon source for bacteria. But it isn’t a big deal if that happens, and you’ll know why.
 
Last edited:
Every ingredient you listed, including favoring and nicotine can act as a carbon source for bacteria. But it isn’t a big deal if that happens, and you’ll know why.

Huh, why? Sorry slightly confused by that answer. I already do a minor amount of carbon dosing, 3ml of nopox a day to keep nitrates between 0-5 and phosphates between .02-.04.
 
I think that was what randy meant. (Feel free to tell me I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time today.)

So many people are already carbon dosing on purpose and to good effect. What would a bacterial bloom do to your tank?
 
Just curious how many people vape in same room as their reef tank? Has anyone done so regularly in the past and stopped, if so did anything change? My wife and I both vape in our living room where our reef tank is. I don’t believe it has any negative effects on the tank but I have had issues keeping acros thriving. I believe it to be more related to my experience level in hobby then anything as I am slowly seeing better results from acros.

In my experience, there was no side effects to vaping in the same room. I vaped heavily near my tank. Could be just me though.
 
Huh, why? Sorry slightly confused by that answer. I already do a minor amount of carbon dosing, 3ml of nopox a day to keep nitrates between 0-5 and phosphates between .02-.04.

I just mean that they are all organic compounds that some type of bacteria will have fun consuming. IMO that is no concern, but it might result in a visible bacterial bloom, which itself is no concern except if you don’t like the look. [emoji3]
 
I just mean that they are all organic compounds that some type of bacteria will have fun consuming. IMO that is no concern, but it might result in a visible bacterial bloom, which itself is no concern except if you don’t like the look. [emoji3]

Got ya :) that makes sense.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top